express.co.uk

Rafael Nadal intervenes to send Barcelona 'trust' warning to Lamine Yamal

Tennis legend Rafael Nadal has told Barcelona star Lamine Yamal to surround himself with the right people as he continues his rise. The 18-year-old is already a key player for the Spanish giants despite his young age.

With the spotlight on him, Yamal has received some criticism for some of his lifestyle choices off the pitch. It was reported by Catalunya Radio last month that the player’s representative Jorge Mendes had a meeting with Barcelona director of football Deco over Yamal’s lifestyle, with both agreeing to keep a closer eye on him.

Despite being a Real Madrid fan, 14-time French Open Champion Nadal has now sent his advice to the young star, having reached the top of his own sport. He has outlined the importance of having the right people around to offer advice and support.

“He should surround himself with people who truly support him and who are smart enough to listen to what successful people prefer to ignore,” Nadal told Movistar+. “He should surround himself with people who sincerely want him to be happy, and he should know how to listen to them, which is not always easy when you are such a famous personality, in the spotlight.

“It’s important for him, given his young age. He must surround himself with people who will benefit him, whether it is his family or a team. Everyone’s reality is different, and everyone has their own mentality and personality.

“There are many paths to success, but the way you handle it and live with it for years can make you a balanced and happy person, or on the contrary, success can make you unhappy because the notoriety ends up consuming you.”

Yamal has recently been in the centre of a club vs country row, with the teenager missing Spain’s last two World Cup qualifiers after undergoing a groin procedure. Spain however claim that they had no knowledge of the procedure happening.

In a statement, they wrote: "The medical services of the Royal Spanish Football Federation wish to express their surprise and concern upon learning, at 13:47 on Monday 10 November - the day the national team's official training camp began - that Lamine Yamal had undergone an invasive radiofrequency procedure earlier that same morning to treat discomfort in his pubic area.

"This procedure was carried out without prior communication to the national team's medical staff, who only became aware of the details through a report received at 22:40 last night, in which a medical recommendation of 7–10 days of rest was indicated.

"In light of this situation, and with the player's health, safety, and well-being as the top priority, the Royal Spanish Football Federation has decided to release the player from the current squad."

Yamal returned to action for Barcelona on Saturday, where he provided two assists in the side’s 4-0 win over Athletic Club at the Nou Camp. He is expected to be back in action on Tuesday night when Barca travel to London to take on Chelsea in the Champions League.

Read full news in source page