Arsenal boss Mikel Artetaplaceholder image
Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta | Getty Images
Arsenal were linked with a move for the Premier League man in the January transfer window
Arsenal remain top of the Premier League table after 25 fixtures. They are hoping that this is the year that they can finally get their hands on the trophy under Mikel Arteta. The Gunners have fallen just short over recent years.
They sit at the summit ahead of Manchester City and Aston Villa. The London outfit won 3-0 at home to Sunderland this weekend. Viktor Gyokeres bagged a brace against the Black Cats at the Emirates Stadium, whilst Martin Zubimendi also found the net.
Arsenal update regarding January transfer target Sandro Tonali
According to Football Insider, Newcastle United midfielder Sandro Tonali ‘could’ force a move away this summer amid links to Arsenal in January. The Gunners were said to be keen on a swoop for the player this winter. However, nothing materialised in the end and he stayed put in the North East beyond the deadline last Monday at 7pm.
In this latest update regarding Tonali’s future with the Toon Army, journalist Pete O’Rourke has said: “There’ll be lots more speculation in regards to Sandro Tonali. That news on Deadline Day was probably just the start of it. A bit like Newcastle had last year with Alexander Isak, there could be another transfer saga involving Sandro Tonali this summer.
“Especially if Newcastle miss out on qualifying for the Champions League, because I’m sure the player himself wants to continue playing at the highest level, and there will be clubs ready and waiting to offer him that if he does want out.”
Tonali, 25, is also said to be on the radar of Chelsea and Manchester City. The Italy international, who has 30 caps to his name, joined Newcastle back in 2023 and has since become one of their most prized assets. He has made 93 appearances for the Magpies in all competitions to date, 36 of which have come this season, and he has scored seven goals.
What now for Sandro Tonali amid Arsenal links?
Arsenal could get their chance to launch a move for Tonali at the end of this campaign. He seems unlikely to stay at Newcastle for next term, especially if they miss out on Europe. Chelsea and City have also been mentioned as suitors though meaning there will be competition for his signature.
If he joined the Gunners, he would give them more competition and depth in the middle of the park. He could battle it out with the likes of Declan Rice, Zubimendi and Mikel Merino for a place in Arteta’s starting XI. Prior to his switch to England, he had spells at Brescia and AC Milan.
Eddie Howe has recently said: "His only focus was on Manchester City and trying to win that game so there's absolutely no issue with Sandro himself. He's very happy and committed so I find it difficult to talk about things I don't know too much about. I can only talk about Sandro as the person and player, and his mindset here and now. Having discussed things with him yesterday, he's absolutely fine."
Continue Reading