manchestereveningnews.co.uk

Marcus Rashford transfer update as Man United told about major Barcelona board change

Barcelona can sign Marcus Rashford from Manchester United for £26million at the end of this season and make the player's move permanent, as per their loan agreement.

Marcus Rashford looks on before a Barcelona match.

Marcus Rashford's future remains in limbo until Barcelona decide whether to sign him permanently from Manchester United.(Image: Getty Images)

View Image

Barcelona's upcoming presidential election could, potentially, determine whether Marcus Rashford joins them permanently from Manchester United this summer.

Joan Laporta recently resigned as president so that he can stand for re-election on March 15. However, several candidates have announced they will oppose him - including Joan Camprubi, Marc Ciria, Victor Font and Xavier Vilajoana.

Font also stood against Laporta five years ago when the lawyer received 54 per cent of the vote to return for a second term - a decade on from his initial seven-year stint. However, his closest rival was the businessman Font, who earned almost 30 per cent of the popular vote from Barcelona members.

The future of sporting director Deco also seemingly hinges on who becomes president. Font has told the Catalan radio station RAC1: "Deco won't be my sporting director."

He has since spoken to the Barcelona-based newspaper Sport. Deco said: "I don't want to get into these things.

"I came here because I believe in Joan's project - which was about rebuilding - and if I'm staying, it's because I believe in Joan's project, which is now about consolidation. If Joan isn't here, things will change, and therefore I won't continue.

"It's not about Victor Font or anyone else. It's about what I believe in and my personal life; if something doesn't fit with my personal life, I'll leave, that's it. I have the freedom to choose. I'm not bound by this.

"I came here because of an idea, because I'm a Barca fan and I wanted to help. I believed I could contribute to Laporta's project."

Ensure our latest sport headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as a Preferred Source in your Google search settings

Deco said in December the club are happy with Rashford, but he stopped short of declaring that any decision has been made on signing the forward permanently. The sporting director spoke on the Spanish radio network Cadena SER.

He said: "Nothing has been decided with Marcus Rashford. It's not the time to make decisions about the future.

"We're happy with him; Rashford is giving us a lot. Strategically, it's not the time to talk about signings."

Font, however, has said he would keep head coach Hansi Flick. He said: "My coach will be Hansi Flick," adding, "We'll make sure the existing structure is a better fit for Hansi Flick."

Rashford's current coach has also spoken highly of the England international.

Flick said earlier this month: "He has much more potential to show still. We always look at the goals, the last passes, but as a coach, he can give us much more. That's what I want to see.

"I'm very happy with him; he's giving us what we ask for, but he has more potential. I want everyone to reach their highest level, to always improve."

Read full news in source page