James Trafford of Manchester City celebrates as Alfie Dorrington of Salford City (not pictured) scores an own goal, giving Manchester City their first goal during the Emirates FA Cup Fourth Round match between Manchester City and Salford City at Etihad Stadium on February 14, 2026 in Manchester, England. (Photo by Annabel Lee-Ellis/Getty Images)placeholder image
James Trafford of Manchester City celebrates as Alfie Dorrington of Salford City (not pictured) scores an own goal, giving Manchester City their first goal during the Emirates FA Cup Fourth Round match between Manchester City and Salford City at Etihad Stadium on February 14, 2026 in Manchester, England. (Photo by Annabel Lee-Ellis/Getty Images) | Getty Images
James Trafford could have joined Newcastle United instead of Manchester City last summer.
James Trafford did not expect to be Manchester City’s second-choice goalkeeper when he returned to the club at the start of the season.
Newcastle United came close to signing the 23-year-old from Burnley in both of the last two summer transfer windows after he agreed personal terms over a move.
In June 2024, Trafford was set to sign but a transfer was pulled when the Magpies were forced to sign Odysseas Vlachodimos as part of the PSR swindle with Nottingham Forest that saw Elliot Anderson head in the opposite direction.
Eddie Howe’s side returned for Trafford last summer and eventually agreed a £27million deal, however they were gazumped by Man City after they exercised their matching rights option.
Trafford spent eight years in the Citizens’ academy before he was sold to Burnley for a reported £19m.
James Trafford did not expect to be Man City’s second-choice goalkeeper
The Cumbrian goalkeeper started the campaign as Pep Guardiola’s number one goalkeeper but the arrival of Gianluigi Donnarumma from Paris Saint-Germain has restricted Trafford to just 11 appearances.
Trafford started both Carabao Cup semi-final legs against Newcastle and was in net for Man City’s 2-0 win over League Two side Salford City in the FA Cup on Saturday afternoon.
But speaking after the game, Trafford admitted his current situation isn’t what he imagined.
“It wasn't what I expected coming into the season and I tried to guard against this situation happening, but it's the reality.” he told BBC Sport. “Every time I play I have to give it my best shot and try and win and improve. That’s the current situation I'm in.
“We train every day but making saves, it's good fun."
Will Newcastle United make another move for James Trafford?
Trafford’s unhappiness raises suggestions on whether he could look to leave Man City this summer.
But as previously reported by NewcastleWorld , another move for Trafford, although not totally off the cards, seems unlikely for two key reasons.
Firstly, Trafford’s wages are thought to be a potential stumbling block and secondly, the working relationship between Man City and Newcastle behind the scenes is far from cordial, made more complicated by City’s interest in Tino Livramento.
Still, Howe admitted recently he remains a big fan of Trafford. He said: “I think he's a very, very good goalkeeper.
“I'm a big fan of his and I think Manchester City are really in a great position with the two goalkeepers that they have. They've probably got more than that, but the two that have been involved this season are fantastic goalkeepers.
“No, I don't look at it that way. I wish him all the best in his career and if he plays tomorrow, we'll look forward to going up against him.”
Newcastle United’s goalkeeping situation
After missing out on Trafford, Newcastle signed Aaron Ramsdale on a season-long loan deal from Southampton, which includes an option make the transfer permanent for £20m in the summer.
It remains to be seen if United will trigger a permanent move, with Ramsdale, similar to Trafford, assuming the role of cup goalkeeper with Nick Pope still as the number one.
Continue Reading