manchestereveningnews.co.uk

Pep Guardiola gives double Man City injury update for Crystal Palace

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola spoke about the injury situation ahead of the Premier League game with Crystal Palace

Abdukodir Khusanov

View Image

Manchester City are leaving it late to decide on the fitness of Rodri and Abdukodir Khusanov. Both players missed the 3-0 win over Brentford and were given Tuesday's training session to show they could play against Crystal Palace.

Pep Guardiola said that both players were 'better' with their respective injuries but will be assessed. Khusanov picked up a knock in a clash with Everton striker Beto last week, while Rodri has not played since a groin problem picked up in the final minutes of the 2-1 win over Arsenal last month.

Rodri in particular has proved difficult to replace for City once again. Nico O'Reilly, Mateo Kovacic, Nico Gonzalez and Tijjani Reijnders have all started in that position since the Arsenal game but none have kept their place, showing the difficulty of replacing a Ballon d'Or winner.

Nathan Ake stepped in for Khusanov against Brentford to partner Marc Guehi, who shrugged off an error in the 3-3 draw with Everton to pick up another clean sheet. It has been an impressive start to life at the Etihad for the former Palace captain, who will face the South London club for the first time since his move in the winter transfer window.

"Since he arrived, he's been an incredible signing," said Guardiola. "His focus in every single details, his private life to be a professional, he's an unbelievable signing. We are really pleased. How he accepts the bad moments, turn around immediately - that defines the big players in the big clubs. We are really pleased."

City also saw Ruben Dias return to the matchday squad against Brentford after six weeks missed with an ankle injury. Josko Gvardiol has returned to training but hasn't played since early January.

Read full news in source page