The latest Premier League transfer news including Manchester City, Liverpool and Newcastle United updates
Two weeks are all that stand between us and the start of the 2026/27 Premier League season, and preparations are well underway for the big kick-off on 21st August. It’s a Friday night fixture under the floodlights to get the campaign going, with reigning champions Arsenal playing host to newly promoted Coventry City in what promises to be an intriguing contest.
placeholder image
Getty Images
The summer transfer window is also starting to liven up, with scores of high profile deals going through and plenty more to come before player trading comes to a halt on September 1st. Spurs, Chelsea and Brighton have been among the busier teams in the division, while the likes of Sunderland and Crystal Palace appear to be taking a more sedate approach to the window.
Our latest rumours round-up begins at the Etihad Stadium, where Manchester City will be looking to challenge for the Premier League title this season under new boss Enzo Maresca. According to The Guardian, star midfielder and World Cup winner Rodri looks increasingly likely to leave this summer, with Barcelona now joining arch rivals Real Madrid in the race to sign him.
The story claims that the Catalan giants are ready to hijack Real to sign the coveted gem, who could be let go for a £60m fee as he heads into the final year of his contract. Rodri is said to have already held talks with key figures at Barcelona regarding a potential move, as they simultaneously look to sign top target Julian Alvarez from Atletico Madrid.
The 3AM Verdict: Rodri could be the domino we’ve been waiting to fall, with his exit likely to trigger series of other high profile moves. While City are close to signing Lille wonderkid Ayyoub Bouaddi, they’re likely to want a more experienced replacement for Rodri, and could turn to Chelsea’s Enzo Fernandez. The Blues could then move for Crystal Palace’s Adam Wharton, and then Palace could... well, you get the picture.
Newcastle close in on Guimaraes replacement
Victor Froholdt could be Newcastle United's replacement for Bruno Guimaraesplaceholder image
Victor Froholdt could be Newcastle United's replacement for Bruno Guimaraes | Getty Images
Over to St. James’ Park next, where shellshocked Newcastle fans are trying to get their bearings after seeing a tornado of change rip through the club this summer, robbing them of numerous key players and their manager. Skipper Bruno Guimaraes will be the next to depart, and reports from the Portuguese printed press, via Sport Witness, claim Newcastle have already found their replacement: Porto’s Victor Froholdt.
It’s not the first time the 20-year-old has been linked with the Magpies of late, with reports earlier this week suggesting the club are ready to step up their efforts to sign the player, who has a £74m release clause. The new report states that Froholdt has “moved to the front of the queue” in terms of Newcastle’s shortlist of midfielders to sign, ahead of Botafogo’s Danilo.
It’s also said that there are a number of obstacles in Newcastle’s way - the release clause to start with, which gives Porto plenty of strength when it comes to setting their asking price. The player is also said to be confident of remaining where he is for the upcoming season, while the Magpies’ lack of European football - something Porto have to offer - is an issue too.
The 3AM Verdict: It sounds like Newcastle have a serious amount of work to do if they’re to sign the Denmark international, both in terms of convincing Porto to sell for a reasonable price, and luring the player to St. James’ Park. There’s plenty of time until the window closes, but the Magpies need to get a move on and have a Plan B in mind so they’re not rushed into some panic buying -a troubling feature of their last summer window.
Liverpool eye Barcola backup plan
Ibrahim Mbaye could be a low cost alternative to Bradley Barcola for Liverpoolplaceholder image
Ibrahim Mbaye could be a low cost alternative to Bradley Barcola for Liverpool | Getty Images
Rounding us off nicely, it’s over to Anfield, where Liverpool are still on the hunt for their Mohamed Salah replacement. Caught Offside claim the Reds are now “accelerating” their efforts to sign Paris Saint-Germain ace Ibrahim Mbaye, with the Parisian giants still standing firm with their whopping £145m asking price for Bradley Barcola.
Mbaye is likely to cost a far more reasonable £43m and is said to be ready to leave his current club, with Liverpool viewed as an ideal destination. Reds boss Andoni Iraola is thought to be a keen admirer of the 18-year-old, who starred at the World Cup with Senegal. It’s claimed that talks between the two clubs will “open soon”, as Liverpool look to get the ball rolling.
The 3AM Verdict: PSG are asking for ludicrous money to sell Barcola, and Liverpool would be making an equally ludicrous decision to pay it. However, Mbaye is very much a raw talent, with only one full season in professional football under his belt. The Reds could do with a more experienced option, rather than taking what would still be a costly gamble - even if he’s considerably cheaper than Barcola.
Read more:Exclusive: USA legend explains what went wrong at World Cup - and why the future is still bright