live4liverpool.com

"What I'm hearing": Fabrizio Romano drops major Liverpool transfer update for "final weeks" of the window

Liverpool’s quiet transfer window so far has seen fans online express concern ahead of the start of the Premier League season later this month.

Earlier this week, Sky Sports reported that Liverpool would not be signing a new centre-back. Journalist Mark McAdam claimed: “My understanding is that Liverpool will not go into the market to sign a [defensive] player for the next 4-6 weeks. It doesn’t make financial sense.

“They’re just gonna have to ride through the storm and then wait for their players to come back, and then they will be at full strength at the back.”

Then, David Lynch provided a conflicting report, saying: “What I would say is it’s not considered internally a priority for Liverpool right now. They want multiple forwards. If they were to sign a defender, I think it would come late in the window. I wouldn’t get your hopes up if you think Liverpool get two defenders.”

Fabrizio Romano has now reported on the direction Liverpool are heading in with their defensive reinforcement plans.

Fabrizio Romano provides fresh update on Liverpool plans to sign a defender in 2026

Reporting on Friday morning, the Italian journalist has made it clear that Liverpool are going to sign a new defender, however, it is more of a priority to sign a new centre-back as opposed to a right back.

Romano said: “Keep an eye out for centre-backs. What I’m hearing is that Liverpool could consider a move for a centre-back in the summer transfer window in these final weeks. Liverpool could add one more player in this position.

“More than right-back in this specific moment; I would keep an eye on the centre-back position.”

? @FabrizioRomano on Liverpool & centre-back search:

Keep an eye out for centre-backs. What I'm hearing is that Liverpool could consider a move for a centre-back in the summer transfer window in these final weeks.

Liverpool could add one more player in this position. More than…

— Empire of the Kop (@empireofthekop) August 7, 2026

Liverpool need a central defender and a right back, but which is more important?

This is the million-pound question right now on social media.

It’s very obvious that Liverpool need to sign fast, aggressive attackers to compensate for the lack of attacking impetus due to Mohamed Salah’s free agent move to Trabzonspor this summer, but it doesn’t mean Liverpool must neglect other areas of the squad.

That said, attackers are more expensive than defenders.

In my opinion, replacing Ibrahima Konate is more important than signing a new right back, even if I would love Liverpool to take care of both positions this summer.

The fact is that elite fullbacks have always been a rarity in modern football.

As we saw with Dominik Szoboszlai at right back last season or Joe Gomez there over the years, you can come up with solutions depending on the opposition. However, you can’t put any old player at centre-back, so getting a new central defender should be the priority. If Liverpool can sign someone like Gomez who can do a job in both roles, then that would be ideal.

Read full news in source page