Liverpool’s new campaign is now just over two weeks away, with the Reds set to begin their Premier League season against Newcastle United at St James’ Park on August 23.
Before then, Andoni Iraola’s side have three more pre-season friendlies against Monaco and Como as the new manager continues preparations.
UK ONLY
However, Liverpool could still use more reinforcements, with Victor Munoz and Jeremy Jacquet remaining the club’s only summer signings so far.
Jacquet’s injury concerns have also limited his involvement, leaving Virgil van Dijk as the only fully fit senior centre-back available ahead of the new season.
Liverpool are also yet to find a replacement for Mohamed Salah, although Paris Saint-Germain duo Bradley Barcola and Ibrahim Mbaye remain among the players being considered.
After missing out on Yan Diomande, Liverpool have identified alternatives, including FC Cologne forward Said El Mala, Brighton winger Yankuba Minteh and Lille’s Matías Fernandez-Pardo.
El Mala enjoyed a breakthrough Bundesliga campaign last season, featuring in all 34 league matches and contributing 13 goals and five assists.
Despite his impressive form, the 19-year-old was not included in Germany’s 2026 FIFA World Cup squad. Borussia Dortmund are also interested in signing the German forward but have seen multiple bids rejected by Cologne.
According to Sky Sports in Germany, Dortmund’s latest offer was worth just under €40million, with bonuses potentially taking the deal to €45 million.
However, Cologne rejected the proposal as it fell below their valuation and remain determined to keep El Mala. The club want at least €50million before considering his departure.
Premier League club Brentford reportedly had an offer accepted for Said El Mala earlier in the transfer window, but the winger rejected the move.
Borussia Dortmund are expected to return with an improved bid for the highly-rated forward, although they may need to offer significantly more than €50million to convince Cologne to sell. El Mala is also believed to have already agreed personal terms with Dortmund over a potential summer transfer.