Alexis Mac Allister has been linked with a move away from Liverpool this summer, with the midfielder's name placed among what could be a transfer carousel sparked by Rodri
KIRKBY, ENGLAND - AUGUST 10: (THE SUN OUT, THE SUN ON SUNDAY OUT) Alexis Mac Allister of Liverpool during a training session at AXA Training Centre on August 10, 2026 in Kirkby, England. (Photo by Nikki Dyer/Liverpool FC via Getty Images)
Alexis Mac Allister has returned to training with Liverpool following the World Cup(Image: Getty Images)
Alexis Mac Allister is unlikely to leave Liverpool this season, despite the possibility of Manchester City’s Rodri kicking off a transfer carousel soon.
Mac Allister reported back for training with the Reds on Monday, having been given time off after making it to the World Cup final with Argentina last month. The 27-year-old will be aiming to make a swift return to Liverpool’s side under new head coach Andoni Iraola, having been a regular feature over the last three years.
His future has been the subject of some speculation though following what was a disappointing 2025/26 season at Anfield, with Real Madrid having been touted as a potentially interested party.
What’s more, Rodri’s future could be about to spark a number of moves in the midfield market. According to The Athletic, the 2024 Ballon d’Or winner would prefer a move to Barcelona over Real Madrid if he is to leave City this summer, with an offer having already been rejected from the Catalan club.
Should Real miss out on Rodri, that could lead it to turn its attention to Mac Allister, especially with Chelsea’s Enzo Fernandez - who has also been linked with a move to the Bernabeu - being linked with a potential reunion with Enzo Maresca at City.
But it’s not just Real being linked with Mac Allister, with talkSPORT also claiming that City is looking at him as a possible option, along with Fernandez and Adam Wharton.
Manchester City midfielder Rodri
Rodri could be about to spark a number of midfield moves if he leaves Manchester City
The Athletic though has played down the prospect of Mac Allister moving, with the Argentine expected to be a key part Iraola’s squad for the forthcoming season.
It’s also suggested that, with Curtis Jones’ future uncertain, it would be unlikely that Liverpool would listen to offers for another of its senior midfielders with less than two weeks until the start of the new Premier League campaign.
In any case, rumors linking Mac Allister with a move away from Anfield have already been dismissed by the player’s father.
Content Image
Content Image
"We have not spoken to any Real Madrid official. What is being circulated about us holding talks with Real Madrid is not true," Carlos Mac Allister told 365Scores last month.
And Iraola shut down a question over his midfielder’s future while on Liverpool’s pre-season tour of the US, insisting that the club doesn’t want to offload any more its key players.
"I think Alexis has been one of the best at this club in years, look at the World Cup, it's normal other clubs want the best players," Iraola said. "Other clubs want my good players but I am looking to sign players than lose the ones we have here."