Enzo Fernandez
Manchester City want to sign Enzo Fernandez from Chelsea(Image: Johnny Fidelin/Icon Sport)
View 2 Images
Manchester City are strongly interested in signing Chelsea's Enzo Fernandez but Enzo Maresca's side are reluctant to meet the £120million price tag on the midfielder's head.
Sources close to the situation say City's interest has ramped up in recent days, though the Blues have received no official bids for the Argentina international since the beginning of the summer transfer window. Despite already signing Elliot Anderson for £116m this summer, Maresca is keen to add another central midfielder, with Rodri looking increasingly likely to leave Manchester to join Barcelona.
Maresca worked with Fernandez for 18 months at Stamford Bridge and the former Chelsea head coach helped turn the Argentina international into a more advanced midfielder. Fernandez informed the Blues back in May that he wishes to leave before the conclusion of the summer transfer window. Back then, Real Madrid were the strong favourites to sign the midfielder.
However, following a public plea to Spanish press from Javier Pastore, Fernandez's agent, Los Blancos released a statement saying they will not be pursuing a move for the Chelsea star this summer. Since then, Stamford Bridge insiders have been consistent in saying there is an expectation that Fernandez will be playing his football in SW6 next season.
That has not changed, even with City's growing interest. Chelsea want the situation to be resolved - one way or the other - in the next 10 or so days. The Blues kick off their Premier League campaign with a short trip to Craven Cottage to take on Fulham on August 24.
As it stands, Fernandez is expected to be part of Xabi Alonso's first Premier League squad. The 25-year-old returned to the club's Cobham base earlier in the week to begin his pre-season training after he was allowed an extended break due to his World Cup final run with Argentina.
Enzo Fernandez
Enzo Fernandez's future at Chelsea remains up in the air(Image: Asahi Shimbun)
View 2 Images
Alonso wants Fernandez to stay. Speaking in July about Fernandez's future, the Chelsea manager said: "Yes, we have spoken but as you can understand what we have spoken remains private."
Fernandez is one of a host of central midfielders on Chelsea's books at the moment. As well as the former Benfica man, Alonso has all of Jordan Henderson, Valentin Barco, Romeo Lavia, Dario Essugo and Moises Caicedo to choose from.
Chelsea were offered the chance to try and sign Myles Lewis-Skelly from Arsenal. As exclusively reported on Tuesday, the Blues, as well as Premier League rivals Manchester United, were given the chance to pursue a deal for the 19-year-old.
Chelsea, though, do not have much room for Lewis-Skelly at the moment. As well as this, the versatile England international is said to be committed to Arsenal.
Interest in Bournemouth midfielder Alex Scott remains but there is nothing advanced in that regard. Chelsea saw a £64m bid turned down by the Cherries last month. Bournemouth are adamant Scott will not be leaving the Vitality Stadium between now and next month's transfer deadline.