talksport.com

Chelsea told why they must keep £120m-rated 'dirty winner' Enzo Fernandez

Chelsea and Argentina's Enzo Fernandez

Enzo Fernandez might be 'horrible', but he is exactly what Chelsea need and they must do everything to keep him.

That is the view of former Manchester United goalkeeper Ben Foster, who believes the Blues should do their best to convince the controversial Argentina star to stay at Stamford Bridge.

Enzo Fernandez celebrates goal for Chelsea4

Fernandez faces an uncertain future at Stamford Bridge

Fernandez currently faces an uncertain future in west London, after he previously fuelled rumours of his exit.

The 25-year-old heavily hinted at a move to Real Madrid towards the end of last season, only for the Spanish giants to shut this down in a statement saying they have 'no intention' of signing him.

Following his involvement in the 2026 World Cup, where he helped Argentina to the final, Fernandez has since returned to Chelsea for pre-season training.

But question marks remain over whether he will remain at Stamford Bridge, with Manchester City rumoured to be considering a move.

And while new Blues boss Xabi Alonso has voiced his desire to keep Fernandez, his public comments hinting at a departure have understandably seen a number of fans turn against him.

His public image wasn't done any favours during the World Cup, when he drew the ire of England fans by mocking the Three Lions with a social media post playing their unofficial 'Wonderwall' anthem after Argentina's semi-final victory.

Chelsea told to keep Fernandez

Despite Fernandez dividing opinion, former England stopper Foster has urged Chelsea to look past this and do their utmost to keep him.

With the midfielder playing a crucial role in Argentina's 2022 World Cup glory, Foster insisted he possesses the nasty streak needed to inspire a team to success.

Alexander-Arnold told why Real Madrid career is not over despite Dumfries transferLeeds handed warning over signing one of the best free agents aroundMichail Antonio trains with EFL club as he looks to make return to English footballLiverpool handed huge boost in Barcola pursuit but rivals urged to hijack move

Asked if he felt Chelsea would fare well without him on Tuesday's talkSPORT, the former goalkeeper said: “I still think they need to keep him. He's a little ferret, is what he is.

“But he's a winner. He's a horrible, dirty little winner that you want in your team. It's as simple as that."

Enzo Fernadez celebrates after scoring for Argentina against England4

Fernandez made a pointed celebration after scoring against England in the World Cup semi-finals

Co-host Shebahn Aherne agreed that Fernandez's behaviour has long been divisive, pointing to his conduct at the World Cup.

The Blues star was sent off in Argentina's final defeat to Spain, as he received two yellow cards in quick succession, the second of which saw him send Pau Cubarsi flying into the air.

Aherne said: “He was a disgrace. But listen, we've seen that with him before. We've seen his behaviour like that the whole time."

But Foster then insisted: “You want it in your team though.”

Fernandez has proven he brings more than just steely ruthlessness to a team during his time at Stamford Bridge.

Since joining Chelsea in January 2023for a then British transfer record fee of £106m, the Argentina international has shown his ability to score goals from midfield, netting ten times in the Premier League last term.

Xabi Alonso looks on during a Chelsea pre-season friendly4

Xabi Alonso would benefit from having Fernandez among his midfield options, insists Foster

End game for Fernandez?

While Foster insisted Fernandez' ruthless streak is what Chelsea need, it remains to be seen if the club will take the

His future in west London remains unclear, although he returned to Chelsea training this week. A move to Manchester City could be appealing for the Argentine, which would offer him a reunion with former Blues boss Maresca at the Etihad Stadium.

Maresca left left Stamford Bridge on New Year's Day after a breakdown in relations at the club, a decision which Fernandez later appeared to criticise the Chelsea board over.

But with Fernandez boasting a huge £120m price tag, talkSPORT's Ben Jacobs recently revealed City could stop short of another nine-digit transfer.

The Citizens have so far signed Elliot Anderson for £116m, while they are now in advanced talks with Lille over Morocco midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi, for a fee expected to be in the region of £100m.

On Fernandez, Jacobs told talkSPORT: "Chelsea's asking price was £120million. Now, maybe that's higher if you consider the fact that other deals, like Elliot Anderson - £116million.

Enzo Maresca and Enzo Fernandez4

Maresca and Fernandez shared a close bond while at Chelsea

"And Chelsea may argue that Enzo Fernandez should be more. He's a World Cup winner after all, and he was the vice-captain and captain at times of Chelsea.

“So Chelsea are calm about the situation, and they have every intent, if the window shuts, to try and get Enzo Fernandez on one extreme to sign the new deal.

“And yet, if their valuation is met, an exit is possible.

“We know that Enzo Fernandez has flirted with a move to Real Madrid. But if we take the public statement at face value, even with Rodri heading to Barcelona, the expectation is that Real won't move. You can never say never with Real, but they were put off by that asking price, according to my information.”

“So yes, City - specifically Enzo Maresca - do appreciate Enzo Fernandez. Are they going to find that budget questionable?

Read full news in source page