givemesport.com

Talks underway: Jaissle desperately needs Newcastle to sign 23-year-old after Everton defeat…

REUTERS/Ibraheem Al Omari via Action Images

Newcastle United are now said to have 'opened talks' over a deal to sign Benfica defender Amar Dedic, and fans will be relieved. The Magpies are now beginning a new era under new boss Matthias Jaissle, but there are worries aplenty ahead of the new season.

The Newcastle squad has been decimated this summer, with Sandro Tonali, Bruno Guimaraes and Anthomy Gordon have all left, not to mention head coach Eddie Howe, who has been a rock at the helm over recent years. The Magpies have done plenty of business in a bid to replace those players, but many fans are still not convinced the ingredients are there for success, however good Jaissle is.

Newcastle fans concerned after pre-season friendly

Newcastle lost to Everton in a pre-season friendly on Wednesday night, conceding far too easily. The performance concerned many Toon fans, who took to social media to express their concern over the defence.

Jaissle may well feel he needs more at the back before the transfer window closes, and it does seem as though Newcastle are planning to make another defensive signing.

Newcastle's summer signings so far

Bazoumana Touré

Aladji Bamba

Lukas Hornicek

Sean Steur

Ewen Joauen

Newcastle now in talks over right-back deal

Amar Dedić

According to TeamTalk, Newcastle are in talks over a deal to sign Dedic, and the right-back is said to be up for the move to the North-East. Dedic played a key role in Benfica going unbeaten in the league under José Mourinho last season, although they didn't quite do enough to win the title.

Dedic, who is 23 years of age, represented Bosnia and Herzegovina at the World Cup this summer, and Benfica know he is a valuable asset. It's claimed there is a £25.6million asking price for the full-back, and while talks are ongoing between Newcastle and Benfica, it will come down to whether the Magpies are willing to pay the money for the full-back.

Newcastle have lost Kieran Trippier, Emil Krafth and Matt Targett in recent times, and that has left Tino Livramento and youngster Leo Shahar as the remaining options. Jaissle may well feel as though he wants a more senior option to provide competition for Livramento, and the fans appear to feel the same way.

Al-Ahli head coach Matthias Jaissle on the touchline

Al-Ahli head coach Matthias Jaissle on the touchline

Read full news in source page