Enzo Fernandez of Chelsea
Manchester City are interested in signing Enzo Fernandez from Chelsea(Image: Luke Walker)
View Image
Enzo Maresca has claimed Manchester City are unlikely to make a move for Chelsea midfielder Enzo Fernandez today after the Blues set an unofficial deadline for the midfielder.
Chelsea have set a transfer deadline for Fernandez with the west Londoners telling Man City, and any other potential suitors, that they have until 5pm today (Friday) to strike a deal to sign the 25-year-old midfielder. The Argentina international is available to buy but only for the £120million price tag Chelsea put on his head earlier in the summer after he told Blues chiefs of his desire to depart Stamford Bridge.
Xabi Alonso wants Fernandez to stay put and Chelsea sources insist that will be the case should no move be made by this evening. Maresca is keen to reunite with Fernandez with the former Blues head coach said to be driving his new club's pursuit of the midfielder.
FOLLOW OUR CHELSEA FB PAGE! Latest Blues news, analysis and much more via our dedicated Facebook page
However, with just a few hours remaining until Chelsea's deadline, Maresca was coy when asked about a possible reunion.
Speaking to reporters, the Italian said: "In this moment I have to give you the same answer since day one, which will be always the same. He is a player from another club and I don't think it's correct to talk about other players. I'm not going to say anything about players who are not with us."
Maresca was then asked directly about the deadline City are facing and said the Manchester club are unlikely to make a move for Fernandez in the coming hours. With a smirk on his face, he said: "Not today, to be honest. I don't think we're going to do something today."
In the background of the Fernandez saga, City are negotiating deals for midfield duo Rodri and Tijani Reijnders to depart the Etihad Stadium. The former, Rodri, has been the subject of a couple of unsuccessful offers from Barcelona.
Maresca was also reluctant to speak too much about the future of the Spain international: "First of all, as I already said, the transfer window is open, we can buy players, we can sell, anything can happen.
"I just saw Rodri now in the building, I gave him a big hug. We will see what happens."
Chelsea want Fernandez to be a part of Alonso's squad for their Premier League opener with Fulham on August 24. The Blues have set the deadline to prevent any unnecessary distractions as Alonso and the squad prepare for the short trip to Craven Cottage.
Fernandez has trained with his Chelsea teammates in recent days after returning from his extended break following reaching the World Cup final with Argentina.