independent.co.uk

Enzo Maresca provides update on Manchester City’s pursuit of Enzo Fernandez ahead of Chelsea deadline

Manchester City have been keen on the Chelsea midfielder but are unlikely to pay a hefty asking price

Bookmark popover

Your support helps us to tell the story

Read moreSupport Now

From reproductive rights to climate change to Big Tech, The Independent is on the ground when the story is developing. Whether it's investigating the financials of Elon Musk's pro-Trump PAC or producing our latest documentary, 'The A Word', which shines a light on the American women fighting for reproductive rights, we know how important it is to parse out the facts from the messaging.

At such a critical moment in US history, we need reporters on the ground. Your donation allows us to keep sending journalists to speak to both sides of the story.

The Independent is trusted by Americans across the entire political spectrum. And unlike many other quality news outlets, we choose not to lock Americans out of our reporting and analysis with paywalls. We believe quality journalism should be available to everyone, paid for by those who can afford it.

**Your support makes all the difference.**Read more

Enzo Maresca has indicated that Manchester City will not buy Enzo Fernandez before the deadline Chelsea set – but said he wants to carry on spending this summer.

The Italian’s former club said they wanted the Argentina midfielder’s future to be settled by 5pm on Friday as they told potential buyers to pay their £120m asking price this week.

Chelsea have set a 5pm deadline on Friday for Man City to submit a bid for Enzo Fernandezopen image in gallery

Chelsea have set a 5pm deadline on Friday for Man City to submit a bid for Enzo Fernandez (PA)

But while Maresca wants to add players to his squad, he indicated that City will be forced to act by Chelsea’s deadline.

“I don’t think we are going to do something today,” he said.

Rodri has returned to Manchester after the World Cup, though Barcelona have had two bids rejected for the World Cup winner.

City felt an initial £38.4m offer was not serious and while Barcelona raised it to £51m and remain interested, Maresca deflected questions if the midfielder will stay.

“I just saw Rodri, I gave him a big hug,” he said.

Rodri continues to be linked with a move away from Manchester Cityopen image in gallery

Rodri continues to be linked with a move away from Manchester City (PA)

City are considering Fernandez and Morocco’s Ayyoub Bouaddi as midfield reinforcements while they are set to sell Tijjani Reijnders to Al Qadsiah for £51m.

They have already brought in Elliot Anderson from Nottingham Forest for a club record £116m but their only other arrivals so far are back-up goalkeeper Geronimo Rulli and teenage winger Jeremy Monga.

And new manager Maresca wants further additions. “When the window is open, we can buy players and we can sell players,” he said. “For sure there are things that we need to do, can be one can be two [new signings], it depends if they want to leave.”

Maresca’s reign begins with the Community Shield against Arsenal on Sunday and the Italian is keen to start with silverware. “For me personally it is a trophy and when a trophy is there in a final is there you are always trying to win so it is no friendly game at all,” he added.

Read full news in source page