lead-art-block.fullscreen-enterExpandEnzo Fernandez is set to stay at Chelsea after no bids were received by the club’s deadline
Enzo Fernandez is set to stay at Chelsea after no bids were received by the club’s deadline
Enzo Fernandez is set to stay at Chelsea after the club’s 5pm Friday deadline passed without any acceptable bids being received.
The club laid down terms on Thursday that they expected either to receive a written bid matching their £120million valuation of the player or they would consider the matter of his future closed, and would not entertain any subsequent offers.
The Press Association understands that the verbal terms and conditions that were made available to Fernandez’s representatives for potential suitors at end of May are now off the table, and the club expects him to stay.
No bids have been received by Chelsea for Enzo Fernandez before today’s 5pm deadline
No bids have been received by Chelsea for Enzo Fernandez before today’s 5pm deadline
Manchester City are the last remaining club with a known interest in signing the World Cup winner, after Real Madrid publicly stated in July that they would not be pursuing Fernandez.
The 25-year-old worked with City boss Enzo Maresca during their 18 months together at Stamford Bridge and the Italian is known to admire the player.
It was thought that, with a £52m deal having been agreed to sell Tijjani Reijnders to Saudi Pro-League outfit Al-Qadsiah, funds would be freed up for City to take Fernandez to the Etihad Stadium as a like-for-like replacement for Rodri, who looks set to join Barcelona.
However, unless Chelsea can be persuaded into a U-turn and be brought to the negotiating table, Fernandez will still be at Stamford Bridge when the transfer window closes on September 1.
Asked on Friday whether City were about to do transfer business, Maresca said: “I don’t think we’re going to do something today.”
Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca revealed earlier on Friday he did not expect to do any transfer business
Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca revealed earlier on Friday he did not expect to do any transfer business
Fernandez told Chelsea at the end of May that he wished to leave with the club placing a £120m price tag on him, however there have been no concrete bids in the more than two months since.
The Press Association understands there is frustration internally at the club with the way the story has played out in the media, with one source calling the matter a “circus,” and there is determination that it not be allowed to become a distraction to Xabi Alonso and his squad as the Premier League season approaches.
It is felt there has been ample opportunity for clubs to make their interest known since Fernandez and Chelsea first made their positions clear on May 27.
The relationship between the club and Fernandez – who joined from Benfica for a then-British record £107m in 2023 and is contracted until 2031 – has become fraught during the last several months.
The Argentinian joined the Blues from Benfica in 2023
The Argentinian joined the Blues from Benfica in 2023 (Nick Potts/PA)
He was suspended internally for two matches in April after telling a podcast that he would like to move to Madrid, whilst he also told Argentinian media in the aftermath of March’s Champions League exit to Paris St Germain that he was unsure he would remain in west London beyond the summer.
His agent Javier Pastore said publicly in March he felt the player was underpaid, later confirm he wanted to leave following a difficult season in which Chelsea finished 10th in the Premier League.
The length of deal he is tied to means the Blues are under no pressure to sell.
He scored 15 goals and made seven assists last season, finishing runner-up in the club’s player of the season awards.
His signing in February 2023 in the aftermath of helping Argentina win the World Cup was an early coup by owners BlueCo, then in their first years of ownership, and he has been considered a key part of their long-term plans.