Nicolas Jackson’s omission from Chelsea’s matchday squad for their final pre-season friendly against Real Sociedad has intensified speculation over the striker’s future, despite reports that he has told new manager Xabi Alonso he would prefer to remain at Stamford Bridge.
Jackson was not involved as Chelsea rounded off their preparations for the 2026-27 campaign with a 3-1 victory over Real Sociedad on Saturday. João Pedro scored twice after Morgan Rogers opened the scoring, with the result giving Alonso a winning conclusion to pre-season.
The Senegal international’s absence was notable given the uncertainty surrounding his position in Alonso’s squad. Chelsea have a crowded group of forwards following the arrivals of João Pedro and Liam Delap, while Jackson has attracted interest from clubs in both England and Spain.
Reports earlier this week suggested Jackson was leaning towards staying at Chelsea and competing for his place under Alonso. The 25-year-old is said to be keen to prove himself to the new manager after concerns over his position in the attacking hierarchy.
However, CHELSEA’s decision to leave him out of the squad for the Real Sociedad fixture has prompted renewed questions over whether the club intends to keep him. Jackson was also initially omitted from Chelsea’s pre-season tour of Australia and Asia before subsequently joining the squad.
Chelsea are reportedly willing to listen to offers for Jackson, with one recent report claiming the club has placed a valuation of around £60 million on the striker. Aston Villa, Tottenham Hotspur and Atletico Madrid have been linked with a possible move, although Chelsea’s asking price is understood to be an obstacle to negotiations.
Jackson spent last season on loan at Bayern Munich and returned to Chelsea during the summer, but competition for places has increased significantly. Alonso has already used several different attacking combinations during pre-season as he assesses his options ahead of the Premier League opener at Fulham on Aug. 24.
The contrasting reports leave Jackson’s situation unresolved. While his preference is reportedly to stay and fight for a place, the decision ultimately rests with CHELSEA and Alonso, with the club still facing pressure to reduce the size of its squad before the transfer window closes.
MORE BIG CHELSEA NEWS AND GOSSIP
Latest: Chelsea still PUSHING Hard sign £77M star – Fans will welcome £100M star – Blues free sign £80M ace
Top Read: Alonso closes in £64M signing after deal done – Fans to give £100M star ‘warm welcome’ – Blues talks sign £80M Forward
Must Check Out: £100M star to make Chelsea move – Spaniard flying in complete medical – £100k-a-week Unit agrees move, Chelsea deal close