Enzo Fernandez
Enzo Fernandez might still depart Chelsea this summer(Image: Ryan Pierse)
View Image
Bournemouth midfielder Alex Scott remains of interest to Chelsea in the final two weeks of the summer transfer window but he is only likely to be pursued if Enzo Fernandez departs Stamford Bridge.
The Blues saw a £64million offer batted away by the Cherries for Scott last month with sources insisting the highly sought-after midfielder is not for sale this summer. Bournemouth insiders actually refused to put a valuation on the 22-year-old due to their no-nonsense stance.
Scott was said to have turned down an offer to extend his contract at the Vitality Stadium amid mass interest - from numerous of the so-called 'big six' - in his signature. Bournemouth, though, are adamant they will keep hold of the midfielder until at least January.
FOLLOW OUR CHELSEA FB PAGE! Latest Blues news, analysis and much more via our dedicated Facebook page
Chelsea are only likely to move for Scott, who is one of a number of central midfield options on the west London club's radar, should Fernandez depart in the next couple of weeks. With the September 1 deadline just around the corner, Fernandez's future remains uncertain.
The Blues handed Manchester City, the front-runners for his signature at the time of writing, an unofficial ultimatum last week. Chelsea told City they could sign Fernandez for £120m but only had until Friday, 5pm, to do it. The west Londoners received no official offers before that time.
However, City's interest in the 25-year-old has not gone away and all the noises coming out of the Etihad Stadium suggest they will test Chelsea's resolve. The Blues' deadline is understood to have been related to the £120m price tag, which is now off the table according to sources.
Chelsea insiders remain relaxed about the situation and will happily keep Fernandez for another season. Xabi Alonso has come out and publicly confirmed he wants the Argentina international to be in his squad for his debut season in the capital.
Fernandez made his return to Stamford Bridge at the weekend and was booed by a portion of supporters inside Chelsea's home. Other fans responded to this by cheering him and then chanting his name in a divided SW6.
While it remains unclear if Chelsea will be Fernandez's home by the time next month comes around, it is pretty certain the Blues will try and replace the midfielder should he depart.