liverpoolecho.co.uk

David Moyes breaks silence on Everton summer transfer business

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - AUGUST 15: David Moyes the head coach / manager of Everton during the pre-season friendly match between Everton and OSC Lille at Hill Dickinson Stadium on August 15, 2026 in Liverpool, United Kingdom. (Photo by Robbie Jay Barratt - AMA/Getty Images)

David Moyes during Everton's pre-season friendly with Lille at Hill Dickinson Stadium on Saturday (Image: Robbie Jay Barratt - AMA/Getty Images)

View 2 Images

Speaking in his first formal interview of the summer, David Moyes admits that he feels Everton “need to do an awful lot more” in the transfer market.

The Blues have turned loan deals for Tyrique George and Merlin Rohl into permanent transfers while adding Hayden Hackney, Christian Norgaard and Brennan Johnson to the squad that finished 13th in the Premier League last season.

And sitting down with Vinny O’Connor of Sky Sports, Everton manager Moyes said: “We’re still needing quite a few players to add to the squad. I’d like to do more if possible, we need to see how the remaining few weeks go.”

Moyes was then quizzed about Jack Grealish, who was on a season-long loan at Hill Dickinson Stadium in 2025/26 but returned for Manchester City in their 3-0 defeat to Arsenal in the Community Shield on Sunday.

READ MORE: Iliman Ndiaye would be very hard to replace – but Everton have to be ready

READ MORE: Arsenal legend names key factor that makes Christian Norgaard an inspired transfer for Everton

Asked if he could comment on the winger, he said: “No, not at the moment. It’s not for me to talk, Jack’s a player at Man City and I don’t think it’s right to talk about players at other clubs.”

Everton have also failed to land a new right-back, a position Moyes admitted at the end of the winter window that they had been actively searching to recruit for over a year.

But when asked about which areas of the squad he still needed to add to, the Glaswegian remained tight-lipped. He said: “I’m not going to tell you. But we’re well aware of what’s required and we’re working hard to try and make it happen.”

BURNLEY, ENGLAND - AUGUST 16: David Moyes the head coach / manager of Everton in the stands during the Sky Bet Championship 2026/27 match between Burnley and West Ham United at Turf Moor on August 16, 2026 in Burnley, England. (Photo by Robbie Jay Barratt - AMA/Getty Images)

Everton manager David Moyes was at Turf Moor on Sunday to Burnley against his former club West Ham United(Image: Robbie Jay Barratt - AMA/Getty Images)

View 2 Images

Moyes revealed he was satisfied with the business the Blues have concluded so far but they remain far from being the finished article.

The 63-year-old, who steered the Blues to nine top-eight finishes, including their highest-ever Premier League position of fourth in his first spell in charge at Goodison Park, said: “I’m pleased with the players we’ve brought in. You have to remember that two of them were already here last year, so we’ve just made them permanent.

“I think it will take Hayden a little bit of time to adapt from the Championship to the Premier League, which quite often it does with players coming from the Championship. Christian is very experienced and will help us replace Idrissa Gueye, but unfortunately he’s injured at the moment.

“Brennan has just come in on the back of the swap deal for Dwight (McNeil). So, look, we’re putting things together but we certainly feel behind the scenes that we’ve got a long way to go and need to do an awful lot more.”

Read full news in source page