liverpool.com

Juventus coach explains failed Alisson transfer after moving for Premier League rival

Luciano Spalletti has revealed Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson was a target for Juventus this summer, before the Italian side decided against making a move for him and signed Guglielmo Vicario instead

Alisson Becker of Liverpool reacts during the pre-season friendly match against Como

Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson was a primary target for Serie A giants Juventus earlier in the summer(Image: Photo by Lewis Storey/Getty Images)

Juventus head coach Luciano Spalletti has opened up on the Italian club's failed pursuit of Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson, having been forced to shift its attention elsewhere and eventually landing on Tottenham's Guglielmo Vicario on loan.

Spalletti was discussing transfers on Monday following Juventus' final preseason outing against its Next Gen youth team. Vicario, meanwhile, has recently undergone his medical tests ahead of the switch from London to Turin.

It's clear, however, that the Tottenham man was not Juventus' first choice for the goalkeeper position this summer. Only last week, the club was heavily linked with Aston Villa's Emiliano Martinez before the plug was pulled on that deal over the weekend.

But, much to the frustration of Liverpool supporters, Alisson was seemingly its priority target at the start of the summer. Spalletti, speaking very candidly about the club's interest in the Brazilian, has essentially confirmed as much.

He told reporters, as quoted by Italian media: "We probably thought that with a more experienced figure like Alisson, Martinez and so have you, that they’d bring something more to the table, but Vicario has won tournaments too, he had experience abroad at an important club, so he’s on the same level."

Alisson's future at Anfield has been somewhat uncertain due to his age and the length of his contract. An option was triggered in March to extend his deal until 2027, meaning he has now entered the final year of his contract with the Reds and is set to become a free agent next summer.

It is not yet clear whether Liverpool will seek to tie him down to a new deal. The club's recruitment of Georgian goalkeeper Giorgi Mamardashvili in recent years points toward succession planning, while Alisson himself has suffered frequent injuries in recent campaigns.

Alisson Becker in action for Brazil during the FIFA World Cup

Alisson Becker's long-term future at Liverpool is uncertain(Image: Photo by Image Photo Agency/Getty Images)

That said, he remains Liverpool's undisputed No. 1 goalkeeper when fit and available. It's unsurprising the club was unwilling to sanction a sale this summer, especially after losing key leaders in the squad in Mohamed Salah and former vice captain Andy Robertson.

Alisson returned to Liverpool for a delayed preseason start in early August. Since then, he has been fit and started the most recent friendly against Como, which ended in a 2-0 win at Anfield.

There is little doubt the 33-year-old will start between the sticks when Andoni Iraola's men kick off their 2026/27 Premier League campaign against Newcastle this weekend. A week later, they are set to take on Nottingham Forest in their first home fixture at Anfield.

The goalkeeper will, however, be free to negotiate with clubs outside of England from January onward when he enters the final six months of his contract. Given recent reports in Italy have suggested Alisson was initially open to joining Juventus due to the longer contract potentially on the table, Liverpool may need to show a greater commitment to its long-standing shot-stopper if the club is to persuade him to continue on Merseyside beyond 2027.

Read full news in source page