liverpool.com

Liverpool transfer news as double agreement reached and Curtis Jones strategy emerges

The latest Liverpool transfer news and rumors, including updates on the club's pursuit of Bradley Barcola and Ibrahim Mbaye and all the latest on Curtis Jones' future at Anfield

Bradley Barcola of Paris Saint-Germain celebrates scoring his team's first goal during the UEFA Champions League 2025/26 Round of 16 First Leg match between Paris Saint-Germain FC and Chelsea FC

Liverpool is pushing to get a deal done for Bradley Barcola(Image: (Photo by Justin Setterfield/Getty Images))

Liverpool's preseason has now drawn to a close following the weekend's matches against Italian side Como, and attention now shifts to the start of the Premier League campaign.

The Reds are set to face Newcastle United at St. James' Park in their opening game before taking on Nottingham Forest in their first home fixture a week later. It is also crunch time in the context of the summer transfer window, with just weeks remaining before the September 1 deadline.

Liverpool still has plenty of work to do, both in terms of incomings and outgoings. Victor Munoz has already been signed, while Ronald Araujo has also been brought in on loan, but head coach Andoni Iraola is still in desperate need of reinforcements.

So, here's a look at all the latest transfer news and rumors involving Liverpool...

Bradley Barcola and Ibrahima Mbaye (Paris Saint-Germain)

Liverpool targets Bradley Barcola and Ibrahima Mbaye are waiting for clarification over their futures, according to the latest rumors this week. The Reds' interest in the attacking duo is no secret as they seek to bolster their forward line in the wake of Mohamed Salah's departure this summer.

According to outlet TEAMtalk, the pair are awaiting progress in negotiations between the two clubs, while personal terms are said to have been agreed in principle with Liverpool. Barcola's agent, Moussa Sissoko, as well as Mbaye's representative, Jorge Mendes, have worked to establish the framework of contract terms in the event a deal is struck between the two parties.

While the reported fees for both players seemingly remain a stumbling block, interestingly, the pair were both omitted from the PSG squad that faced Lens on Sunday evening. They were spotted watching from the stands as Luis Enrique's men were narrowly beaten 1-0.

Ibrahim Mbaye of PSG celebrates his goal during the Ligue 1 McDonald's football match between RC Lens (RCL) and Paris Saint-Germain (PSG)

Ibrahim Mbaye can leave PSG this summer, and continues to be linked with a move to Liverpool(Image: (Photo by Jean Catuffe/Getty Images))

Liverpool.com says: Making progress on the player side is no surprise, as it ensures a deal can be swiftly wrapped up if and when negotiations progress. But it's certainly never been the obstacle to either potential deal, so it's arguably not worth getting excited about.

Instead, it appears the two deals hinge on compromises being made on the fees by both Liverpool and PSG. So far, neither side has been willing to do so, hence the stalling, and it appears these two transfers could go right to the wire.

Curtis Jones (Liverpool)

Elsewhere, Liverpool midfielder Curtis Jones continues to be linked with a move away from the club as his contract enters its final year. With seemingly no progress made on an extension, the 25-year-old appears to be edging closer to the exit door amid interest from Serie A giant Inter Milan.

Jones has missed all three of Liverpool's final preseason friendlies as a precaution due to a hip injury, but his absence has certainly fueled speculation. The latest report from Italian outlet Corriere Dello Sport claims Inter is adopting a similar approach to the one it took in its pursuit of Tottenham's Djed Spence.

A deal for the defender was finalized last week, and Inter ultimately landed him for the price it wanted as Spurs eventually dropped their asking price. With talks reportedly set to resume between Liverpool and Inter this week, it is hoped the 'wait-and-see' strategy will produce a similar outcome with Jones.

Liverpool.com says: The longer these rumors drag on, the likelier it becomes that Jones will leave the club. Liverpool is evidently playing hardball by standing firm on its valuation of the academy graduate, but it's fair to say the club is losing leverage as the weeks go by.

Jones is out of contract in 12 months, and if there is any truth behind his desire to move on, he won't be signing a new deal. While Liverpool has proven in the past that it is not opposed to letting first-team players see out their contracts, there comes a point when the club cannot afford to do it with everyone, especially because Jones, and previously Trent Alexander-Arnold, would represent pure profit from a profit and sustainability standpoint.

Read full news in source page