independent.co.uk

Transfer news LIVE: Chelsea set new Enzo price, Liverpool reach deal for PSG winger, Man Utd respond to Fernandes approach

Manchester United are to reject an approach for Bruno Fernandez from Galatasaray after they planned to submit a bid to double their captain’s salary

Bookmark popover

Close

Manchester City face a price hike if they are to sign Enzo Fernandez from Chelsea. City are still interested in signing Fernandez despite missing Chelsea’s Friday deadline for offers, but now face paying much more than the £120m the Blues were demanding last week. Chelsea want the midfielder’s future to be resolved before their opening game of the season this weekend. City, meanwhile, are to sign 18-year-old midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi for £85m after selling Ballon d’Or winner Rodri to Barcelona in a deal worth up to £65m.

Elsewhere, Manchester United are set to reject an audacious approach from Galatasaray for their captain Bruno Fernandes. The Turkish club are determined to sign a star this summer and are lining up a comprehensive financial package that would have doubled the 31-year-old midfielder’s salary, but United’s stance is that Fernandes is not for sale. Fernandes has entered the final 12 months of his contract at Old Trafford, but there is an option to extend for another year, and the Portuguese would not be allowed to leave in the week before the season starts.

Bradley Barcola was left out of Paris Saint-Germain’s squad for the French Super Cup on Sunday in a boost to Liverpool and Arsenal’s chances of signing the France international winger. Barcola was also an unused substitute in PSG’s Super Cup win over Aston Villa on Wednesday. The European champions were set to demand £145m for the 23-year-old but Liverpool are prepared to play the long-game as they bid to negotiate a price as Andoni Iraola targets a new winger. Arsenal, meanwhile, are in the market for a marquee attacking signing.

Follow all of the latest news, rumours and done deals below

Transfer news - live updates

Manchester United to reject Galatasaray approach for Bruno Fernandes

Liverpool 'reach Ibrahim Mbaye agreement' and also want Bradley Barcola

Man City 'face Enzo Fernandez price hike' after new man City deadline

Man City in advanced talks to sign Ayyoub Bouaddi after selling Rodri to Barcelona

Juventus walk away from Emiliano Martinez deal but Aston Villa future uncertain

Tottenham's Guglielmo Vicario to sign for Juventus after Martinez talks break down

Chelsea put £100m price tag on winger Pedro Neto after Al Hilal links

9 minutes ago

Fifa’s chief operating officer leaves after scathing criticism of Gianni Infantino

Kevin Lamour, the Fifa official who criticised Gianni Infantino's leadership and voted against the Fifa Forward Enterprise proposal, has left the global governing body.

The 46-year-old had been working as chief operating officer, the position from which he told Associated Press on 31 July that Fifa staff had been "deceived" by Infantino regarding the plan.

A statement from the body read: "Fifa can confirm that the working relationship between Fifa and Kevin Lamour as Fifa’s Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026.

“Fifa thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future.

“No further comment will be made on the matter.”

Fifa’s chief operating officer leaves after scathing criticism of Gianni Infantino

Kevin Lamour had accused Infantino of ‘deceiving’ Fifa over his now-abandoned World Cup plans

Miguel Delaney, Chief Football Writer18 August 2026 09:00

30 minutes ago

Harry Kane set to open contract talks with Bayern Munich

Harry Kane is “relaxed” about his contract situation at Bayern Munich with both parties set to open discussions over the next couple of weeks.

Kane, 33, has entered the final 12 months of his deal at Bayern and the England captain expects talks to begin soon over extending.

“The talks will begin this week or next,” he said, according to Bild. “We will start the discussions, and as I've already said, we're relaxed.

“I think they're relaxed about the situation as well. Now is obviously the time to start talks, since we only have a year left. That's important.

“But both sides are relaxed, and I'm quite sure that talks will take place this week or next."

( Reuters )

Jamie Braidwood18 August 2026 08:40

49 minutes ago

Man United to open Bruno Fernandes contract talks after Galatasaray approach

Manchester United will open contract talks with Bruno Fernandes after outlining that their captain is not for sale.

Galatasaray approached United with an offer for the 31-year-old and comprehensive financial package that would have doubled his salaray.

Fernandes has entered the final 12 months of his contract at Old Trafford, with the option to extend for a further year.

The Athleticnow report that Fernandes wants to stay and United have opened discussions on a new deal.

Fernandes was the player of the year last season after guiding Manchester United back into the Champions League.

Bruno Fernandes is into the final year of his Man United contract

Bruno Fernandes is into the final year of his Man United contract (Getty)

Jamie Braidwood18 August 2026 08:20

1 hour ago

Liverpool 'reach Ibrahim Mbaye agreement'

Liverpool have agreed personal terms with Paris Saint-Germain winger Ibrahim Mbaye. That’s according to RMC Sport journalist Fabrice Hawkins, who reports that the Reds want to sign both Mbaye and Bradley Barcola this summer.

Both Mbaye and Barcola were left out of PSG’s squad for the French Super Cup against Lens on Sunday. While Barcola is priced at £145m by PSG, the 18-year-old Mbaye could be available for around £40m.

( Getty )

Jamie Braidwood18 August 2026 08:00

1 hour ago

Todd Boehly open to selling stake in Chelsea

Todd Boehly is open to selling his stake in Chelsea to majority owners Clearlake Capital.

The Financial Times reported on Monday that Chelsea chairman Boehly and director Mark Walter were in talks to sell their 12.8 per cent stakes to Clearlake, who are led by Behdad Eghbali.

Rumours of a rift between Boehly and Eghbali, whose Clearlake owns 61.5 per cent take, first surfaced in 2024 and it was reported the pair had explored how they could buy the other out.

Walter is reportedly also selling the Los Angeles Lakers to former Disney CEO Bob Iger and venture capitalist Josh Kushner for a record-breaking $12.5bn, a year after buying a majority stake.

Hansjorg Wyss also owns a 12.8 per cent stake in Chelsea but reports indicated that the Swiss billionaire’s position is unclear. Chelsea declined to comment.

Todd Boehly open to selling stake in Chelsea

Boehly has served as Chelsea’s chairman since June 2022

Jamie Braidwood18 August 2026 07:50

1 hour ago

FPL tips 2026/27: 44 players you should consider signing

With tens of millions of players across the world, Fantasy Premier League is back ahead of the new Premier League season, which starts on Friday as defending champions Arsenal kick off against Championship winners Coventry City.

As always, FPL players are tasked with building a title-winning side with a fixed budget of £100m. Within that, players must get the balance right between the expensive premium picks who are likely to top the points tallies at the end of the 38-game season, along with the hidden gems that could make the difference over the campaign.

To start with, read the10 things every FPL manager should consider before the new season, then dive into our expanded watchlist...

FPL tips 2026/27: 44 players you should consider signing

A comprehensive guide of the players to target (and a few more) ahead of the start of the Fantasy Premier League season on Friday

Jamie Braidwood18 August 2026 07:35

1 hour ago

Man City 'face Enzo Fernandez price hike' after new man City deadline

Manchester City will now have to pay more than £120m if they are to sign Enzo Fernandez from Chelsea this summer, according to the Telegraph.

Chelsea want to resolve Fernandez’s future before their opening game of the Premier League season on Monday and although it was reported that the Blues were hopeful he could be reintegrated into Xabi Alonso’s squad, he was booed by supporters at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

Talks are still ongoing with the Argentina international, with Manchester City interested in signing the midfielder after agreeing to sell Rodri to Barcelona. Chelsea had set a deadline of Friday for bids Fernandez, but that passed without City submitting an offer.

Should City return to Chelsea with an offer, they face entering new negotiations for the player and having to pay more than the £120m quoted to them last week.

( Getty )

Jamie Braidwood18 August 2026 07:11

2 hours ago

Manchester United make stance clear on Bruno Fernandes transfer after interest from Galatasaray

Manchester United are adamant Bruno Fernandes is not for sale at any price after Galatasaray showed interest in him.

The Turkish champions are thought to be interested in the 31-year-old but United would reject any offer that came in.

Fernandes is in the last year of his contract, though United have the option to extend it for a further season, but they have no intention of letting him go.

The Portugal international received a huge offer from Saudi Arabian Pro-League club Al-Hilal in the summer of 2025.

And while he spurned it to stay at Old Trafford, he subsequently revealed he was “hurt” that he thought the club “wanted me to leave”.

Fernandes nevertheless responded by winning the Footballer of the Year award last season and setting a record by getting 21 Premier League assists in the campaign.

He also won the Sir Matt Busby award for a fifth time as he was voted United’s player of the year again as he helped a team who had come 15th in 2025 to finish in the top three.

He was thought to have a clause that allowed foreign clubs to sign him for a fixed fee this summer but it expired last month.

( PA )

Richard Jolly, Senior Football Correspondent18 August 2026 07:06

2 hours ago

Ranking every Premier League team before the most unpredictable season in years

A new era of the Premier League begins on Friday as defending champions Arsenal kick off what looks to one of the most unpredictable seasons in years.

Pep Guardiola’s departure from Manchester City following a decade of dominance coincides with Arsenal’s return as defending champions for the first time 22 years. Mikel Arteta is now the longest-serving Premier League manager and the relative stability at the Gunners comes in sharp contract to the upheaval across the top-flight.

Nine Premier League clubs have changed managers over the summer, while Michael Carrick and Roberto De Zerbi begin their first full seasons at Manchester United and Tottenham, respectively. There are many unknowns across the Premier League, with Andoni Iraola taking charge of Liverpool and Xabi Alonso arriving at Chelsea.

Coventry City, Ipswich Town and Hull City were promoted from the Championship last season, replacing the relegated West Ham, Burnley and Wolves, and will hope to take inspiration from a Sunderland who qualified for Europe last term in their first season back in the top-flight.

How does it play out this time? This is our predicted table...

Ranking every Premier League team before the most unpredictable season in years

Arsenal’s strength and depth makes them our favourites to defend their title but who will challenge them?

Jamie Braidwood18 August 2026 06:55

4 hours ago

Virgil van Dijk: Liverpool's new-look central defence will take time to gel

Virgil van Dijk accepts it will take time to build a connection with new signings Jeremy Jacquet and Ronald Araujo after Liverpool’s central defence received a summer overhaul.

The departure of Ibrahima Konate after an indifferent season in which he played the majority of games alongside Van Dijk in their disappointing Premier League title defence and ongoing fitness issues with Joe Gomez and Giovani Leoni meant the club had to act to improve an area of weakness.

A £60m deal for Jacquet was agreed at the end of the winter transfer window, but he immediately sustained a season-ending injury and so his first appearance for his new club was delayed until Sunday’s 2-0 friendly win over Como.

The 21-year-old put in an impressive 45-minute performance, scoring the second goal, before being replaced by former Barcelona captain Araujo, who arrived a week ago in a loan deal which could be made permanent and also looked good in his first outing.

Jacquet is set to start at Newcastle at the weekend and Van Dijk knows, for all their time on the training ground, it is only in matches they will be able to build a proper relationship.

Van Dijk drops verdict on Liverpool’s new-look defence after major summer overhaul

Liverpool have made a number of changes in defence over the summer

Jamie Braidwood18 August 2026 04:55

Newer

1 / 5

Older

Read full news in source page