independent.co.uk

Julian Alvarez axed from Atletico squad amid Barcelona transfer saga

Julian Alvarez stated earlier this summer that he wanted to ‘fulfil my dream’ by playing for Barcelona

Bookmark popover

Atletico Madrid striker Julian Alvarez will miss his side’s opening game (Adam Davy/PA)open image in gallery

Atletico Madrid striker Julian Alvarez will miss his side’s opening game (Adam Davy/PA) (PA Wire)

Your support helps us to tell the story

Read moreSupport Now

From reproductive rights to climate change to Big Tech, The Independent is on the ground when the story is developing. Whether it's investigating the financials of Elon Musk's pro-Trump PAC or producing our latest documentary, 'The A Word', which shines a light on the American women fighting for reproductive rights, we know how important it is to parse out the facts from the messaging.

At such a critical moment in US history, we need reporters on the ground. Your donation allows us to keep sending journalists to speak to both sides of the story.

The Independent is trusted by Americans across the entire political spectrum. And unlike many other quality news outlets, we choose not to lock Americans out of our reporting and analysis with paywalls. We believe quality journalism should be available to everyone, paid for by those who can afford it.

**Your support makes all the difference.**Read more

Atletico Madrid striker Julian Alvarez will miss his side's La Liga season opener against Malaga, head coach Diego Simeone confirmed on Tuesday, as the Argentine continues to be linked with a move to Barcelona.

The 26-year-old joined Atletico from Manchester City for €75 million (£63 million) in 2024 and has made no secret of his desire to leave the club.

At the World Cup, Alvarez revealed he had held discussions with Atletico regarding a potential transfer to "fulfil my dream", following widespread speculation in the Spanish media regarding interest from Barcelona.

However, Atletico CEO Miguel Angel Gil Marin insisted that the club would reject offers even reaching €200 million (£171 million) for a key player they intend to retain.

"Miguel Angel is the club's owner. Nothing is more definitive than the club's owner, it's crystal clear. It's like when a judge hands down a ruling: 'Dismissed,'" Simeone told reporters ahead of Wednesday's game.

Diego Simeone confirmed Alvarez will not play on Wednesdayopen image in gallery

Diego Simeone confirmed Alvarez will not play on Wednesday (Reuters)

"What he said is crystal clear. From a sports perspective, we want to look out for the person, the player, so he can continue to uphold his reputation.

"We don't see him playing in this game. I hope that over the next four days, he'll be closer to where we want him to be."

Alvarez has scored 49 goals in 106 appearances for Atletico, and Simeone remains hopeful the forward could feature in Sunday's home fixture against Villarreal.

"I still feel the same way I did the other day in Korea (during Atletico's pre-season tour). I handle the sporting side of things," Simeone added.

"We talked as we always do and I understand that, from a sporting standpoint, he still needs to step it up a bit to be in top form for Sunday.

"He needs more practice. He's the best player we have and we're going to try to build a team around him, keeping his level in mind."

Alvarez has also been linked with a potential move to Arsenal this summer, with the Gunners keen to strengthen their front line for their Premier League title defence.

However, he has made it clear that he would prefer a switch to Barcelona. As things stand, Atletico remain adamant Alvarez is not for sale.

Read full news in source page