football.london

Three players Chelsea can sign to replace Enzo Fernandez before deadline day

Chelsea must be prepared to immediately splash the cash on a new midfielder if Manchester City suddenly meet Enzo Fernandez's asking price.

Enzo Fernandez

Enzo Fernandez(Image: Adrian DENNIS/AFP via Getty Images)

View 4 Images

Chelsea need a contingency plan in place should Manchester City suddenly decide to splash the cash on Enzo Fernandez. The Cityzens had the opportunity to sign the Blues midfielder for £120m at the end of last week, but they failed to lodge a bid before the unofficial deadline at 5pm on Friday.

football.london understands that Fernandez informed higher-ups at Stamford Bridge of his intent to leave at the end of May. The Argentina international first cast doubt over his future in March when he failed to rule out a departure from Chelsea and expressed his desire to one day live in the Spanish capital.

It didn't take long before he was linked with a move to the Santiago Bernabeu. Then, at the start of July, Real Madrid firmly denied that they had made or would make any effort to sign Fernandez, whose contract at Stamford Bridge doesn't expire until June 2032.

In an official statement, Los Blancos claimed that, despite their 'utmost respect' for him as a player, they have 'no intention of undertaking such an operation'. Real Madrid also boasted that they have an 'excellent relationship' with the Blues, having signed Marc Cucurella just hours before Spain's opening World Cup clash.

Eager to finalise preparations for the new season, Chelsea told potential suitors that they have until 5pm on Friday, August 14, to meet the £120m asking price. football.london understands that Manchester City didn't submit a bid before the unofficial deadline, but they remain interested in signing the Argentine.

FOLLOW OUR CHELSEA FB PAGE! Latest Blues news, analysis and much more via our dedicated Facebook page

If Enzo Maresca pushes to sign Fernandez and the Cityzens finally table an offer, the Blues must be ready to immediately splash the cash on a replacement. So, with that being said, football.london has looked at three players who Chelsea should sign as a replacement for the vice-captain.

Adam Wharton

Wharton would be a great addition to the Chelsea squad. Although the Crystal Palace midfielder would struggle to score as many goals as Fernandez, who's the ultimate big game player, he's one of the few players on the market who can grab a game by the scruff of the neck and dictate possession.

Playing slightly deeper, often coming short to receive the ball and break the lines, Wharton would likely play a similar role to the Argentine when he first joined the Blues in 2023. So long as Alonso is confident the wing-backs and forward players can compensate for Fernandez's output in the final third, the 22-year-old playmaker could be a perfect fit.

Adam Wharton of Crystal Palace.

Adam Wharton of Crystal Palace.(Image: Mikolaj Barbanell/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images)

View 4 Images

football.london understands that Chelsea are long admirers of Wharton, whose contract at Selhurst Park expires in June 2029. It's said that any potential deal for the Englishman could cost in the region of £100m.

Alex Scott

Scott could be just as good a replacement for Fernandez. The Bournemouth midfielder would be just as capable as Wharton at keeping it ticking, but he could offer a little more energy and mobility in the middle of the park, bouncing between boxes.

The Crystal Palace midfielder progresses the ball centrally with his excellent range of passing, while Scott would primarily progress the ball centrally with his mazy runs. The 22-year-old midfielder would, therefore, offer Chelsea something a little different in midfield, which could be exactly what Alonso wants.

Alex Scott of Bournemouth during friendly fixture between St Pauli and AFC Bournemouth at Saalfelden Arena on July 24, 2026 in Saalfelden, Austria

Alex Scott has been linked with a move to Chelsea(Image: Photo by Robin Jones - AFC Bournemouth/AFC Bournemouth via Getty Images)

View 4 Images

football.london understands that Chelsea are interested in signing Scott, whose contract at the Vitality Stadium expires in June 2028. However, it's said that the Blues will likely only pursue a deal if Fernandez leaves.

Chelsea had a £64m bid for the Englishman rejected earlier this summer, with Bournemouth insistent that he's not for sale. Scott is understood to have turned down a contract extension offer from the Cherries last month.

Fabian Ruiz

Although Ruiz hasn't been linked with a move to Chelsea, he's somebody that Alonso should try to prise from Paris Saint-Germain. Under Luis Enrique, the 30-year-old has quietly established himself as one of the best midfielders in the world, and he only has a year left of his contract in the French capital.

PARIS, FRANCE - MAY 07: Fabian Ruiz of Paris Saint-Germain celebrates after scoring with teammates Achraf Hakimi and Joao Neves during the UEFA Champions League 2024/25 Semi Final Second Leg match between Paris Saint-Germain and Arsenal FC at Parc des Princes on May 07, 2025 in Paris, France. (Photo by Aurelien Meunier - PSG/PSG via Getty Images)

Fabian Ruiz of PSG(Image: Aurelien Meunier - PSG, PSG via Getty Images)

View 4 Images

The Blues should test the waters at the Parc des Princes. Ruiz, who, as it stands, will be available on a free transfer at the end of the season, may not command an eye-watering fee, unlike the others on this list, making him an absolute bargain.

The Spain international would bring star-studded quality and great experience to Stamford Bridge, which is exactly what Alonso wants. Ruiz is still only 30, meaning he still has some of his best years ahead of him.

Having already won all there is to win with PSG, domestically and on the European stage, the project in west London could very catch his eye. Ultimately, if Chelsea don't pull the trigger, every other top Premier League club probably will...

Read full news in source page