**John Aldridge has warned of the risks of allowing Cody Gakpo to leave the club for Tottenham this summer.**
A report from [TEAMtalk](https://www.teamtalk.com/news/cody-gakpo-tells-liverpool-wants-tottenham-transfer-personal-terms-agreed-giant-bid-readied-exclusive) journalist Graeme Bailey last week suggests the winger has already agreed personal terms with Spurs. Bailey wrote: _“We understand Gakpo’s representatives have already agreed personal terms in principle with Tottenham and have now taken the next step by speaking directly with Liverpool’s hierarchy to make the player’s position clear._
_“Gakpo has told the club that he does not see his long-term future at Anfield and wants the opportunity to move to Spurs._
_“De Zerbi has made it clear to the winger’s camp just how important he could be to his plans in north London._
_“Gakpo is understood to have been hugely impressed by what he has heard from the Tottenham head coach and believes the opportunity to play a major role in De Zerbi’s project is particularly attractive_
_“The Reds want more than £60million before they would consider allowing Gakpo to leave and, crucially, sources indicate Tottenham are prepared to meet that valuation with their upcoming bid.”_
Liverpool told not to sell Gakpo
--------------------------------
Former Reds striker John Aldridge has urged his old team against selling Gakpo in his latest column for the [Liverpool ECHO](https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-cannot-sanction-insane-transfer-34471207#:~:text=I%E2%80%99m%20not%20saying,not%20selling%20them.), suggesting letting him leave puts the season ahead at risk.
Aldridge writes: _“I’m not saying Liverpool need to have a squad capable of challenging for the title, but we have to give ourselves a chance of a top-four finish, so the talk about Cody Gakpo potentially leaving is worrying. Liverpool cannot sell him. It would be insane to do that._
_Aldridge added: “Liverpool need to be buying players – not selling them.”_
I agree with Aldo, but Liverpool will likely still sell Gakpo
-------------------------------------------------------------
Football fans can be quite fickle, which was evident after Gakpo found the back of the net in Liverpool’s final pre-season game of the summer against Como on Sunday.
The Dutchman took a brilliant first touch before finishing from a superb Jeremie Frimpong cross to make it 1-0 against Como. With Spurs watching the 27-year-old’s situation closely, they will likely have been encouraged in their pursuit, however, they are reportedly yet to make an offer to Liverpool.
Without Gakpo and assuming Liverpool sign both Barcola and Mbaye, this would be the list of attackers available to Iraola this season:
* Alexander Isak
* Hugo Ekitike (back after Boxing Day)
* Bradley Barcola
* Rio Ngumoha
* Victor Munoz
* Ibrahim Mbaye
* Federico Chiesa
While still light in the centre-forward department until Ekitike returns, this is a more than acceptable situation. Of course, it’s assuming a lot happens in the final 13 days of the window.