via Reuters
Tottenham Hotspur's hopes of signing Liverpool forward Cody Gakpo before the September 1 transfer deadline are fading, according to one journalist.
After wrapping up six summer signings by July 6, Tottenham haven't made another signing in the 43 days since, albeit not for the want of trying.
Roberto De Zerbi has been determined to add both Manchester City winger Savinho and Liverpool attacker Gakpo to his squad ahead of the new Premier League season, although they have so far failed to make any progress in negotiations with their Premier League rivals, even though both players are said to be keen on a move to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
Spurs chiefs will still have high hopes of getting deals over the line considering the business they completed successfully earlier in the summer, but it is also getting to the stage of the window where they might have to consider alternatives.
As well as wanting to add two new wingers to the squad, there is also the chance that a new centre-forward arrives too, especially if Richarlison leaves.
The Brazil international is once again being linked with a move away from north London, with his former club Everton the latest to show an interest in the 29-year-old.
While a move for a striker could still happen, talkSPORT journalist Alex Crook has claimed, after speaking to sources at Liverpool, that Gakpo is expected to shine under Iraola at Anfield and that a move to Tottenham before September 1 is currently deemed unlikely.
If true, it could force Tottenham back to the drawing board, as frustrations continue over the time it is taking to get a deal for Savinho over the line.
Forget Osimhen: Tottenham Should Move for Ivan Toney
REUTERS/Stringer
One of the strikers Tottenham have been heavily linked with in recent weeks is Victor Osimhen, who is said to be looking to play at an elite level again following a stunning spell with Galatasaray in Turkey.
There are some major obstacles in the way of Spurs, or any other Premier League team, completing a deal for the Nigeria international however, with the main issue being his high wages, according to GMS sources.
GIVEMESPORT senior correspondent Ben Jacobs played down links between the north London outfit and Osimhen on the Last Word on Spurs podcast last week, and then suggested that Ivan Toney could be a name to keep an eye on.
"He's won back-to-back Asian Champions leagues. Yep, he got into the England squad being in Saudi Arabia, but at the moment, with a new manager and a lot of change at Al Ahli, is there a point where Toney says, 'I want to come back to England'.
"Whether it's this summer remains to be seen. Simply because when you speak to people around the player side, they go, 'He's just happy in Saudi Arabia, period, and he's well compensated'. But it's one just to keep a small eye on, because you may remember when Tottenham had that bid for Dom Solanke, and the first offer was turned down. Toney was the other alternative."
While there is no doubting Osimhen's ability after he was instrumental in Napoli winning Serie A, before netting 61 goals in 75 appearances for Galatasaray, it appears as though it would be a very difficult deal to pull off.
That might not be the case for Toney, who would also bring the Premier League experience that De Zerbi has shown he so often craves.
||
Ivan Toney Premier League Record
Games
Goals
Assists
All of his signings have that, as do Savinho and Gakpo, and it is clearly something he values highly as he looks to take Tottenham back up the table.
Toney may be 30 years of age, but 72 goals in 94 games for Al Ahli and the fact he made England's 2026 World Cup show how highly he is still rated, with Al Ahli sporting director Rui Pedro raving over him earlier this year.