readeverton.com

Everton News & Talking Points: Kinnear speaks out as transfer plans take shape

Everton plans for the final fortnight of the transfer window came into sharper focus on Tuesday, with chief executive Angus Kinnear addressing the club’s ambitions, David Moyes, Jack Grealish and the long-running search for a right-back.

It followed a busy day of transfer news, with Moyes admitting he still wants “quite a few” additions and Everton linked with Crystal Palace’s Daniel Munoz, Fulham’s Timothy Castagne and Burnley forward Zian Flemming.

Here are the main Everton stories from Tuesday, August 18.

Kinnear says missing Europe was a failure

The most significant comments of the day came from Angus Kinnear during an interview with BBC Radio Merseyside.

The Everton chief executive revealed that The Friedkin Group regarded last season’s failure to qualify for Europe as a “failure”, an unusually clear statement of what the ownership expects.

Kinnear also discussed Moyes’ position, recruitment and the possibility of Grealish returning to Hill Dickinson Stadium.

There was no indication that a Grealish deal is close. Kinnear acknowledged the impact the winger made during last season’s loan but also pointed to the financial considerations involved in bringing him back from Manchester City.

With Moyes entering the final year of his contract, there was plenty to digest.

Read the full story: Everton CEO Kinnear breaks silence on Moyes, Grealish and transfer plans

Everton will wait for their ‘number one’ right-back

Kinnear also provided perhaps the clearest update yet on a position Everton have been trying to strengthen for more than a year.

He confirmed there will be no new right-back in place for Saturday’s Premier League game against Crystal Palace.

More interestingly, Kinnear said it was important that Everton have the “number one right-back we wanted” by the time the window closes.

That suggests the club are prepared to wait for their preferred option rather than work their way down the list simply to get somebody through the door.

Read more: Kinnear makes ‘number one’ right-back transfer admission

Munoz and Castagne remain on Everton’s radar

Earlier in the day, The Athletic’s Patrick Boyland reported that Everton continue to sound out possible right-backs.

Crystal Palace’s Daniel Munoz remains of interest, while Fulham’s Timothy Castagne is another player under consideration.

There was no suggestion that a deal for either player was close, something that became more understandable once Kinnear spoke later in the day about Everton waiting for their first-choice target.

Castagne, 30, would bring substantial Premier League experience and can play on either side of the defence. Munoz has been on Everton’s radar for some time.

Full story: Everton continuing to sound out right-back targets as Castagne joins list

Moyes wants ‘quite a few’ more signings

David Moyes had already made clear that Everton’s business is far from finished.

Speaking to Sky Sports News, the manager said: “We’re still needing quite a few players to add to the squad.”

Everton have signed Hayden Hackney, Christian Norgaard and Brennan Johnson this summer, but Moyes wants further additions before the September 1 deadline.

Right-back is the obvious vacancy, although the manager’s use of “quite a few” suggests Everton are looking beyond one final defensive signing.

Asked about Grealish, Moyes declined to comment.

Read more: Moyes says Everton still need ‘quite a few’ more before deadline

Flemming joins the list of attacking options

Burnley’s Zian Flemming was another name to emerge on Tuesday.

Everton are reported to be among several clubs interested in the 28-year-old, who started the Championship season by scoring twice in Burnley’s 2-2 draw at West Ham.

Flemming was Burnley’s leading scorer last season and offers some positional flexibility across the attacking positions.

Burnley want to keep him, while clubs from Italy, France and the Netherlands have also been credited with interest.

For Everton, the link is another indication that attacking reinforcements remain under consideration.

Full story: Everton among clubs circling Burnley’s Zian Flemming

Four decisions that could define Everton’s window

With so many names being discussed, we took a broader look at where Everton actually stand with two weeks of the window remaining.

The conclusion was that four issues matter more than the sheer number of transfers completed: solving the right-back problem, deciding whether another striker is required, finding the right balance in midfield and keeping hold of Iliman Ndiaye.

Kinnear’s comments later in the day only strengthened the point about recruitment.

Everton have spent money this summer. The question now is whether the remaining business addresses the gaps Moyes still sees in his squad.

Analysis: Four transfer decisions that could define Everton’s summer

Grealish keeps everyone guessing – with a joke

The day began rather more lightly with Jack Grealish being spotted at Cardiff City’s game against Wrexham.

Grealish was there to watch his former Aston Villa teammate and friend Callum Robinson, but was asked by a supporter whether he was at Cardiff for “a permanent deal or just a loan move”.

His answer?

“Not sure yet!”

The question was a joke about Cardiff rather than Everton, and Grealish was happy to play along.

His actual future remains rather less straightforward. Everton retain an interest after his loan spell last season was cut short by a stress fracture, while Kinnear’s later comments confirmed the financial realities involved in trying to bring him back.

Watch and read: Grealish spotted at Cardiff v Wrexham and gives a ‘hint’ to his future

A clearer picture, but plenty still to do

Tuesday produced more clarity than Everton supporters have had for much of the summer.

Kinnear has set out TFG’s expectations and confirmed Everton are prepared to wait for the right player at right-back. Moyes, meanwhile, has made no attempt to disguise his belief that the squad still needs work.

The next question is whether those words are followed by deals.

With Crystal Palace visiting Hill Dickinson Stadium on Saturday and the transfer deadline now less than two weeks away, Everton are reaching the point where the shape of their 2026/27 squad will soon become clear.

Everton CEO Kinnear makes ‘number one’ right-back transfer admission

Everton CEO Kinnear makes ‘number one’ right-back transfer admission

Everton CEO Kinnear breaks silence on Moyes, Grealish and transfer plans

Everton CEO Kinnear breaks silence on Moyes, Grealish and transfer plans

Read full news in source page