Newcastle United finished 12th in the Premier League last season, a significant drop after qualifying for the Champions League in two of the previous three campaigns and winning the Carabao Cup in March 2025.
The 2026/27 season marks a new era under Matthias Jaissle, who has been tasked with rebuilding the squad following the departures of several key players.
UK ONLY
Newcastle begin their campaign at home to Liverpool on August 23 and are looking to strengthen before the season gets underway.
According to The Athletic, Newcastle are in talks to sign Manchester City midfielder Nico Gonzalez as they seek midfield reinforcements following the departures of Sandro Tonali and Bruno Guimaraes.
Talks over Gonzalez are among several exploratory discussions taking place as Newcastle continue to assess their options.
Nico Gonzalez racked up 41 appearances for Manchester City during the 2025-26 season but started just two Premier League matches after January. He came off the bench for the final 11 minutes of Sunday’s Community Shield defeat by Arsenal.
Despite his limited game time, the 24-year-old said earlier that he was happy at City and wanted to remain at the club. “I’m happy here,” Gonzalez said.
“I don’t want to leave and I think the club wants me to stay. I haven’t seen anything, but I’m happy here. I don’t think any player has the position guaranteed for all the matches.
“Everyone has to work hard. We are one of the best teams in the world and obviously there is competition in every position. That is what makes us be in the position that we are, winning so many Premier Leagues and competing for everything.”
Newcastle have brought in six signings this summer, including midfielders Aladji Bamba and Sean Steur, as they continue to reshape their squad under new head coach Matthias Jaissle.
Gonzalez joined City from Porto in January 2025 for €60million (£52m). The former Spain Under-21 international previously came through Barcelona’s La Masia academy before playing for Valencia and Porto.
He has yet to make his senior debut for Spain and was not included in Luis de la Fuente’s squad for this summer’s World Cup.
City have also undergone significant changes, with Pep Guardiola leaving after a decade in charge. Rodri, Bernardo Silva and John Stones have also departed, while Enzo Maresca has taken over as manager.