live4liverpool.com

£72m deal on verge of collapse: "Sources at Liverpool" expect nothing will change before Deadline Day

Liverpool are no longer expected to sell Cody Gakpo despite Spurs being seriously interested in the Dutchman.

The Reds are now expected to retain Gakpo for the season ahead, which will be a major boost to Liverpool’s attacking squad depth, especially once Bradley Barcola and Ibrahim Mbaye are signed.

Claims from RMC Sport earlier this week suggest that a deal for Mbaye is “progressing rapidly”, with a reported five-year contract in place with the Senegal international.

Meanwhile, talks continue between Liverpool and PSG over a huge transfer fee for Barcola, as the Reds “would also like to finalise another deal with PSG soon.”

So, to hold onto Gakpo while signing the PSG pair would be a very sensible move. The Dutch forward can compete with Barcola for game time on the left flank, while also providing the necessary cover for Alexander Isak until Hugo Ekitike returns from his Achilles tendon tear by Boxing Day.

Liverpool now expect to keep Cody Gakpo for the 2026/27 season despite Spurs interest

According to journalist Alex Crook, sources of his at Liverpool don’t expect Spurs to sign Gakpo despite their desire to bring him to London, amid claims of a £72m valuation set by the Anfield club.

Crook told Last Word on Spurs: “I don’t think it will happen. Speaking to sources at Liverpool they think he’s had a good pre-season under Iraola, they think he’s a player that Iraola can get the best out of.

“I think he probably would be open to the move, but at the moment that’s not one I expect to happen between now and deadline day.”

?@Alex_Crook does NOT believe Cody Gakpo will join Tottenham Hotspur this summer:

??“I don’t think it will happen. Speaking to sources at Liverpool they think he’s had a good pre-season under Iraola, they think he’s a player that Iraola can get the best out of.”

??“I think he… pic.twitter.com/D5K6CoeA2s

— Last Word On Spurs (@LastWordOnSpurs) August 18, 2026

Fabrizio Romano contradicts this claim

The Italian journalist is seemingly being told a different story, claiming that a deal to sign Gakpo “is still absolutely on.”

He said on YouTube: “For Cody Gakpo, Tottenham remain in conversations. I know in the last 24, 48 hours, the rumours around the story are that the deal is not happening, the deal is off, the deal is not going through.

“But my understanding is that the negotiation for Cody Gakpo to Tottenham is still ongoing. Cody Gakpo is open to joining Tottenham and personal terms are not a problem.

“So the deal remains on. The deal remains underway and Cody Gakpo to Tottenham Hotspur is still absolutely on.

“Then they need to reach a financial agreement, and that’s not a detail. Remember that if Gakpo is going to Tottenham, Liverpool will sign two wingers, top target Bradley Barcola plus one.

“So it’s still a long story in a short time because now there are less than two weeks of the summer transfer window. We’ll be following the situation. These days, anything can happen.

“But what I can guarantee at this time on Tuesday is that nothing has changed yet. There is no deal off. The conversation remains ongoing and we have to follow the situation to understand what’s going to happen.”

Read full news in source page