scotsman.com

Celtic given encouragement, Rangers exit admission, St Mirren target Liverpool man - Scottish…

The Scottish Premiership transfer window is now official into its final two weeks, and the reports, rumours and headlines are heating up as manager’s across the top flight look to add the finishing touches to their squads for the 2026/27. Has your team got everything it needs?

In your Thursday morning transfer bulletin, we’ve got the all the latest news from Celtic, Rangers, St Mirren, Motherwell and beyond.

Sign up to The Scotsman’s daily football newsletter to get unrivalled Scottish football news and analysis - subscribe for free here.

Celtic have been given encouragement in their bid to sign Canadian midfielder Niko Sigur this summer.placeholder image

Celtic have been given encouragement in their bid to sign Canadian midfielder Niko Sigur this summer. | Getty Images

St Mirren target Liverpool man

St Mirren are interested in bringing one-cap Scotland international Calvin Ramsay back to the Scottish Premiership and are exploring a potential loan deal for the Liverpool man, according to a report from The Times.The 23-year-old moved to Anfield for a six-figure sum in the summer of 2022, signing a long-term deal with the English Premier League giants after impressing as a youngster at Aberdeen.

However, injury has affected his time on Merseyside, with the right-back making just two appearances last season.Ramsay has had several loan spells in recent years, including spells at Kilmarnock, Wigan Athletic and Preston North End, and now Craig McLeish’s side want to bring the player to Paisley. The St Mirren boss has enjoyed a strong start to the new league season, winning both of his opening games after being appointed the permanent head coach in the summer.

St Mirren head coach Craig McLeish is eyeing a move for Liverpool right-back Calvin Ramsay.placeholder image

St Mirren head coach Craig McLeish is eyeing a move for Liverpool right-back Calvin Ramsay.

Motherwell chase Swedish hotshot

Motherwell are understood to be winning the race to sign highly rated Sweden Under-21 international Jardell Kanga this month, with the club hoping to tie up a deal for the former Bayer Leverkusen youngster. The 20-year-old, who currently plays for Finnish outfit Ilves, is on the radar of several clubs after scoring 13 goals and assisting a further eight in the Veikkausliiga this year.

The Stockholm-born playmaker began his career with hometown club Brommapojkarna, before being snapped up by German giants Bayer Leverkusen, where he spent time in their youth system. Kanga has also been capped at several youth levels for the Swedish national team, and has spent time with Hammarby and De Graafschap during his career. However, it is at Ilves where he has truly shone. Arriving at the Tammela Stadion on loan in April 2025, Kanga registered 10 goal contributions, convincing the Tampere side to make his deal permanent.

Motherwell boss Alfred Johansson is eyeing a deal for Swedish hotshot Jardell Kanga this month.placeholder image

Motherwell boss Alfred Johansson is eyeing a deal for Swedish hotshot Jardell Kanga this month. | SNS Group

Rangers exit admission

Rangers manager Derek McInnes says that transfer speculation surrounding Belgium international Nico Raskin is not affecting the player, but admits the club do have a price they’d be willing to sell him for. The 25-year-old has been subject of interest from several clubs on the continent, but has continued to play for the club, starting the last three games at Ibrox. Raskin has been linked to Hull City and Bologna over the last month, but with just a fortnight left before the transfer window slams shut, his future remains unresolved.

While the Rangers boss concedes he could still move on this summer, he praised the player’s attitude in the wake of intense speculation. “Every player's got a price,” said McInnes. “Every player has got a time where it maybe suits them to move on, suits the club or whatever. But I think it's important for me to say that Nico's been a dream since we came in, in terms of how he's set about his work. He doesn't look like a boy who's distracted in any way with that. I've no doubt there's a lot of stuff going on in the background with him. I just need to play it by ear really to be honest. I'm enjoying working with him."

Nico Raskin has been the subject of intense transfer speculation throughout the summer.placeholder image

Nico Raskin has been the subject of intense transfer speculation throughout the summer. | SNS Group

Celtic given encouragement

Celtic have been handed a boost in their quest to add Hajduk Split midfielder Niko Sigur this summer after the club’s sporting director, Robert Graf, admitted they need to sell players. The 22-year-old is understood to be one of Celtic’s key transfer targets ahead of the transfer deadline, with the Scottish champions long-term admirers of the Canadian international.

Capable of playing in midfield or at right-back, the player had a fee of around £3million mooted for him following some impressive performances at the World Cup with his national side this summer. Sigur is thought to be keen on the move to Glasgow, where he will link up with international teammate Alistair Johnston. The clubs are understood to be in discussions over a transfer.

Speaking about his need to sell to buy during the summer transfer window, Graf told Polish podcast Mieczyki: “The transfer budget is around zero. So at least I don't have a problem with money because I don't have it. I'm also changing the entire salary structure a bit, reducing income. I want to structure it because it's been a bit chaotic in that area here.

“Financially, we're not looking the best. I hope that after selling players, we'll manage to set aside some money for transfers. As far as finances are concerned, the difference is a complete abyss. And that hole cannot be closed in the near future. Everything will depend on how we manage on the European stage.”

Read full news in source page