Barcelona have completed their preparations for the 2026-27 season, which gets underway on Sunday with a trip to Elche. Hansi Flick has fine-tuned his plans, and this has included making one big chance in defence.
Last week, it was reported that [Flick had decided to go with Eric Garcia as a permanent right-back](https://barcanewsnetwork.com/barcelona-have-clear-plans-for-eric-garcia-as-flick-reshapes-his-defense/) for the 2026-27 campaign. The world champion covered a number of positions last season, and while he was often used at full-back, he typically found himself in the centre of defence alongside Pau Cubarsi or Gerard Martin.
However, he will be playing at right-back on a more consistent basis during the upcoming campaign, as the man himself confirmed when he spoke after Barcelona’s 2-1 victory over Al Ahly in the Joan Gamper Trophy on Wednesday (via [MD](https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/fc-barcelona/20260819/1004217797/eric-garcia-mister-me-dijo-ano-me-probaria-lateral.html)). He also spoke on being appointed as one member of the temporary captaincy group.
**“The coach told me that this year he would like to try me out there. It’s a position I’m happy with. I already told him that wherever he played, he would be happy. I feel good at full-back. It’s also a privilege for me to be one of the captains, even if it’s momentary.”**
Eric was also asked about Barcelona’s striker situation. The Catalans are still without a natural number nine following the departures of Robert Lewandowski and Ferran Torres, although the defender is not worried about the current lack of options.
**“The two centre-forwards we had are gone. There are those who are; I think we have a lot of alternatives up front. Anthony (Gordon) can play there, Karim (Adeyemi), Rapha has played there; even Lamine. Hamza is doing very well. Luckily, it’s the sporting director’s job and not mine. We accept what we have, which is already a lot. If someone comes, they will be welcome.”**