miamiherald.com

Trump’s Final Ultimatum to Hamas After Direct Talks: ‘Last Warning’

Trump and Bibi. US President Donald Trump (R) meets with Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, DC, on February 4, 2025. AFP/Getty Images

President Donald Trump issued a final ultimatum to Hamas on Wednesday after it was reported that U.S. officials engaged in "ongoing talks and discussions" with Hamas officials.

In a Truth Social post, Trump ordered Hamas to release the remaining hostages captured in the October 7, 2023, attack on Israel. He said if those demands were not met, he would send Israel "everything it needs to finish the job."

"This is your last warning!" Trump wrote.

Why This Matters

Trump's remarks come after the United States and Hamas spoke in the Qatari capital of Doha last month. It marked the first known direct engagement between the U.S. and the Palestinian militant group since the State Department designated it a foreign terrorist organization in 1997.

What To Know

Trump sent a message to the people of Gaza on Wednesday, writing that, "A beautiful Future awaits, but not if you hold Hostages. If you do, you are DEAD! Make a SMART decision. RELEASE THE HOSTAGES NOW, OR THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY LATER!"

Israeli officials estimate that about 24 living hostages, including American citizen Edan Alexander, and the bodies of at least 35 others are still being held in Gaza.

The president also called Hamas "sick and twisted" for keeping the bodies of the victims of the October 7 attack.

The White House confirmed Wednesday that U.S. officials spoke with Hamas. Although press secretary Karoline Leavitt declined to provide details, she said Wednesday that "dialogue and talking to people around the world" is something Trump "believes is a good-faith effort to do what's right for the American people."

"These are ongoing talks and discussions. I'm not going to detail them," Leavitt said. "There are American lives at stake."

What People Are Saying

President Donald Trump, in a post on Truth Social: "'Shalom Hamas' means Hello and Goodbye - You can choose. Release all of the Hostages now, not later, and immediately return all of the dead bodies of the people you murdered, or it is OVER for you. Only sick and twisted people keep bodies, and you are sick and twisted! I am sending Israel everything it needs to finish the job, not a single Hamas member will be safe if you don't do as I say.

"I have just met with your former Hostages whose lives you have destroyed. This is your last warning! For the leadership, now is the time to leave Gaza, while you still have a chance. Also, to the People of Gaza: A beautiful Future awaits, but not if you hold Hostages. If you do, you are DEAD! Make a SMART decision. RELEASE THE HOSTAGES NOW, OR THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY LATER!"

A Hamas spokesperson responded to Trump's post in a statement shared with CNN: "These threats complicate matters regarding ceasefire agreement and encourage the occupation government not to implement the agreement."

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office, in a statement: "Israel has expressed to the United States its position regarding direct talks with Hamas."

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said during Wednesday's briefing:"When it comes to the negotiations that you're referring to, first of all, the special envoy who's engaged in those negotiations does have the authority."

Jonathan Panikoff, a former U.S. deputy national intelligence officer on the Middle East, told Reuters: "On one hand, engaging Hamas directly could make it easier to get U.S. hostages out and help reach a long-term agreement. On the other, there's a reason the U.S. doesn't usually negotiate with terrorist groups; knowing Washington will do so incentivizes them to repeat the behavior in the future."

What Happens Next

The continuation of the Israel-Hamas ceasefire remains uncertain. Trump has signaled that he would not stop Netanyahu from returning to combat if Hamas doesn't agree to the terms of a new deal.

Update 3/5/25, 5:51 p.m. ET: This article was updated with additional information.

Related Articles

US Holding First Ever Direct Talks With Hamas

Donald Trump Doubles Down on Gaza

The Arab Plan to Save Gaza Has One Major Flaw

AI Images Show Arab Response to Trump's Gaza Plan

2025 NEWSWEEK DIGITAL LLC.

This story was originally published March 5, 2025 at 5:10 PM.

Read full news in source page