ansa.it

Pope Francis resting after a quiet night says Vatican

Pope Francis is still resting after spending a quiet night, the Vatican Press Office said early on Thursday.

The medical bulletin released on Wednesday night said the pontiff was in stable condition and had not had any more episodes of respiratory failure as he battles pneumonia in both lungs at Rome's Agostino Gemelli Hospital.

The 88-year-old pontiff was hospitalised on February 14.

"The Holy Father remained stationary today without showing episodes of respiratory failure", said the medical bulletin on the Pope's condition released Wednesday evening by the Vatican Press Office.

"As planned, during the day, he underwent high-flow oxygen therapy and non-invasive mechanical ventilation will be resumed during the night", it explained.

"The Holy Father increased respiratory physiotherapy and active motor therapy. He spent the day in an armchair".

Francis's prognosis was still guarded and he received the Ash Wednesday ashes marking the start of Lent Wednesday, the Vatican said.

Francis on Wednesday morning had resumed respiratory therapy and returned to high-flow oxygen therapy, administered through nosepieces, instead of mechanical ventilation with a mask that had been used at night, Vatican sources said.

The Argentine pontiff has not received any more visitors and, again for now, none are planned, the sources said Wednesday.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA

Read full news in source page