Pete O'Rourke, Transfer Correspondent
Thu 6 March 2025 12:19, UK
West Ham are working on a deal to appoint ex-Man United and Newcastle recruitment chief Dan Ashworth, sources have told Football Insider.
The Irons are searching for a new sporting director following the departure of Tim Steiden earlier this year.
They are interested in an ambitious move for Ashworth – who made his name at West Brom, Brighton and with the FA.
The 54-year-old worked with West Ham boss Graham Potter during their time together at Brighton.
West Ham target ambitious Ashworth move
Ashworth was appointed as sporting director at Man United last year and arrived in July 2024, before leaving the club just five months later.
United claimed the decision for the transfer guru to move on was a “mutual agreement” after reports suggested his transition had not been smooth.
Tenure Club Role
2000-2001 Peterborough Academy Manager
2001-2004 Cambridge United Director of Youth Department
2004-2007 West Brom Academy Manager
2007-2013 West Brom Sporting Director
2013-2018 England (Football Association) Director of Development
2019-2022 Brighton Technical Director
2022-2024 Newcastle United Sporting Director
2024 Man United Sporting Director
Ashworth’s career to date
MORE FOOTBALL INSIDER STORIES
Former Man City financial adviser Stefan Borson exclusively told Football Insider that the 54-year-old’s appointment set Man United back around £5million in total.
West Ham have already appointed Kyle Macaulay as head of recruitment following Potter’s arrival – with the pair working together at Ostersunds, Swansea, Brighton and Chelsea.
The Irons sit 15th in the Premier League table this term after Julen Lopetegui was replaced in the dugout earlier this year.
Graham Potter managing West Ham
West Ham sit 15th in the Premier League this term. (Credit: Imago)
West Ham told Southampton’s Harwood-Bellis asking price
One potential target for Potter and his transfer team this summer could be Southampton star Taylor Harwood-Bellis.
Football Insider revealed on Thursday (6 March) that Southampton want to recoup their £20million outlay on Harwood-Bellis should West Ham or Crystal Palace make a move this summer.
The Saints are virtually doomed to relegation from the Premier League this term but the centre-back has been one of their more impressive performers.
For more West Ham news, follow us on Facebook or join our brand new WhatsApp Channel for instant updates to be sent straight to your phone.
Related Posts