Alexander Isak
Photo by Serena Taylor/Newcastle United via Getty Images
Sky Sports’ Keith Downie has reported his latest on Alexander Isak from the Newcastle training ground this week.
Liverpool and Newcastle United will battle for the first major silverware of the English football season on March 16th at Wembley Stadium.
The Magpies’ preparation for the cup final has been marred by a growing absentee list that now includes several key defensive players and their star winger, with lingering concerns over their talismanic striker.
Newcastle’s backline has been particularly hard hit, with the news that Sven Botman will undergo knee surgery emerging on Wednesday.
The Dutch defender, who only recently returned in January from a 10-month absence due to an ACL injury, is now facing another extended spell on the sidelines.
This development comes just days after the club confirmed that Lewis Hall will miss the remainder of the 2024/25 campaign. The versatile defender suffered a foot injury against Liverpool in their recent Premier League encounter and subsequent specialist assessment confirmed surgery would be necessary.
To exacerbate Newcastle’s selection headaches, Anthony Gordon will be unavailable for the Wembley showcase after receiving a straight red card during the FA Cup loss to Brighton.
The club opted against appealing the decision, meaning the England international will serve a three-match suspension.
Perhaps most concerning for Newcastle supporters is the uncertain fitness status of star striker Alexander Isak.
The Swedish international, who has netted an impressive 22 goals in 31 appearances this season, has experienced a troubling sequence of physical issues in recent weeks.
Isak initially missed Newcastle’s 2-0 Premier League defeat at Anfield last week due to a groin problem, before returning to the starting lineup for Sunday’s FA Cup fifth-round clash with Brighton.
Though Isak converted a first-half penalty against the Seagulls, his afternoon ended prematurely when he limped off in the 86th minute to be replaced by Callum Wilson.
This substitution, coming shortly after Gordon’s dismissal, sparked immediate concerns about a potential recurrence of his groin issue.
However, Sky Sports journalist Keith Downie was at Darsley Park this week, and revealed that he had spoken to the Swede about his fitness:
“On Alexander Isak, he’s here today, as I said he was doing an interview, moving very freely,” Downie said on his YouTube channel.
“He had a smile on his face and seems in high spirits.”
“So any worries Isak has done himself some lasting damage [in the FA Cup defeat] doesn’t seem to be the case.”
He added:
“Managed to have a quick word with him and he said he was fine, ready to play next weekend.”
“Barring anything happening against West Ham on Monday night, you’re going to have a fit Alexander Isak up against Liverpool in the Carabao Cup final.”
Want to get the latest Liverpool news direct to your phone? Join our WhatsApp community by clicking here.