dailymail.co.uk

Thomas Tuchel draws up 55-MAN longlist for first squad as FA claim he could be England boss for TEN years

Thomas Tuchel's reign starts with games against Albania and Latvia this month

The German has called dozens of England hopefuls as he builds relationships

LISTEN NOW: It's All Kicking Off! Is Alisson the best goalkeeper in the Premier League?

By ISAAN KHAN

Published: 13:00 EST, 6 March 2025 | Updated: 13:00 EST, 6 March 2025

Thomas Tuchel has drawn up a lengthy 55-man longlist ahead of announcing his first England squad next Thursday as he prepares for the start of his reign.

The German, who took on the England job in October, phoned up dozens of contenders for the World Cup qualifying matches against Albania and Latvia at Wembley on March 21 and 24 respectively.

The wide-open list puts the likes of Arsenal teenage starlets Myles Lewis-Skelly and Ethan Nwaneri right in contention for a first call-up.

Tuchel was at Nottingham Forest’s FA Cup fifth-round victory against Ipswich Town on Monday and has since been at England base St George’s Park.

On Thursday, FA chief executive Mark Bullingham spoke glowingly about the lengths Tuchel has gone to, to consider a variety of options for the squad.

‘He realised early on that you don't build those connections in the six days you get together, so he's put a lot of effort into that,’ said Bullingham.

Thomas Tuchel was at Nottingham Forest’s FA Cup victory against Ipswich Town on Monday

Arsenal teenagers Ethan Nwaneri (left) and Myles Lewis-Skelly are in contention for a call-up

Mason Greenwood has formally applied to switch allegiance to Steve McClaren’s Jamaica

'I think he's got 55 on this long list and makes sure that he's got a strong connection with them, that they know that he's seen them. It's not only the players in England. It’s players playing abroad as well, and I think that that will only stand (us) in a good stead in the long run.’

Tuchel faced criticism last month after it emerged that the FA has allowed him to work from home as part of his contract. It allows the 51-year-old to make regular trips back to Germany to visit his family.

But Bullingham is happy with the impact he has had so far.

‘Yeah, it's been brilliant. He's made a really strong impact,’ he said.

‘He's really hit the ground running. He's been up there (St George’s Park) a lot and spent a lot of time with people.

‘He's living in London and based up at St George’s Park, and we're delighted with him.’

Tuchel is on an 18-month contract, which has been typical of the length he has signed during his managerial career. Bullingham has not ruled out that being extended for a much longer period in the future.

‘I think he always said, “I might be here for 10 years, but I'll only ever sign up in two-year cycles” effectively,’ he explained.

FA chief executive Mark Bullingham is gushing in his praise of Tuchel's start as England boss

Liverpool boss Arne Slot rants at referee Michael Oliver after last month's Merseyside derby

‘He just wants his sole focus to be on the next tournament and be really single-minded with the players on that, but it's very early to judge.’

Bullingham confirmed that Mason Greenwood has formally applied to switch allegiance to Steve McClaren’s Jamaica.

The 23-year-old has courted attention after impressing for Marseille this season, scoring 15 goals in Ligue 1.

Ex-Manchester United striker Greenwood made his only England appearance in September 2020 against Iceland in which he and Phil Foden broke Covid regulations.

Greenwood has since been banished from the squad and has been able to change allegiances because he was under 21 at the time he played for England.

When asked if Greenwood switched because it was indicated to the striker that he wasn’t going to be picked, Bullingham replied: ‘No, we actually didn't have that communication.

‘I don't think there was ever a request. It just wasn’t one we got to, so it’s a personal decision by him.’

Bullingham also said he was in support of bodycams for Premier League referees.

Abuse towards referees has been a contentious topic for some time and again came to the fore after the FA revealed Liverpool boss Arne Slot had launched an X-rated rant at referee Michael Oliver in which he said, ‘If we don’t win the league, I’ll f****** blame you’.

He added: ‘I personally think it (bodycams) is good and it is something which should be trialled and potentially allowed. I think initially it might be trialled without audio and then long term trialled with audio.’

Read full news in source page