shafaq.com

Exclusive: 13 police killed in Northern Syria clashes

2025-03-06T18:58:57+00:00

font

Enable Reading Mode

A- A A+

Shafaq News/ On Thursday, at least 13 police officers were killed in northern Syria’s coastal region as clashes escalated between security forces and supporters of the former Syrian regime, multiple sources confirmed.

A Syrian Defense Ministry official told Shafaq News that army units had been deployed to Jableh to reinforce police and security forces. "The death toll currently stands at 13 officers," the official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said.

Fighting in Jableh remains intense, a source familiar with the situation told Shafaq News, calling the clashes "the most dangerous since the fall of Bashar al-Assad’s regime."

State news agency SANA reported that large military reinforcements were being sent to Jableh and its outskirts to support security forces and restore order. The Defense Ministry said these reinforcements were assisting in countering coordinated attacks by al-Assad loyalists.

أرتال لقوات الأمن العام في مدينة إعزاز شمال حلب تستعد للتوجه إلى منطقة جبلة وريفها، ضمن التعزيزات التي دفعت بها وزارة الداخلية.#سانا pic.twitter.com/qVRA5IqFvR

— الوكالة العربية السورية للأنباء - سانا (@SanaAjel) March 6, 2025

Earlier, SANA reported that remnants of the former regime had attacked a security checkpoint near Jableh and targeted civilian vehicles. Local officials in Latakia province said security forces had encircled al-Assad loyalists in the villages of Beit Aana and Daliah, where gunfire had earlier struck a security vehicle.

مدير إدارة الأمن العام في محافظة اللاذقية المقدم مصطفى كنيفاتي: ضمن هجوم مدروس ومعد مسبقًا، هاجمت مجموعات عدة من فلول ميليشيات الأسد نقاطنا وحواجزنا، واستهدفت العديد من دورياتنا في منطقة جبلة وريفها، مما نتج عنه سقوط العديد من الشهداء والمصابين في صفوف قواتنا.#سانا pic.twitter.com/c4RMdj968J

— الوكالة العربية السورية للأنباء - سانا (@SanaAjel) March 6, 2025

Read full news in source page