everton.news

Major development coming out of Everton could be a huge boost for Carlos Alcaraz - opinion

Honest conversations are going to be needed at Everton ahead of the summer.

A lot has changed in a short space of time at Goodison Park following the takeover by The Friedkin Group in the backend of last year.

David Moyes has come in and transformed Everton, with the results saying all that needs to be said since Sean Dyche’s departure.

Contracts are going to be the main topic of discussion on Merseyside over the coming weeks.

Everton are close to Idrissa Gana Gueye signing a new deal after the midfielder reportedly agreed to terms for another year.

However, there is one player who will not be staying for next season after a decision has been made on his future.

Photo by Warren Little/Getty Images

Photo by Warren Little/Getty Images

Everton will not extend Abdoulaye Doucoure’s contract

On Thursday, it was reported Everton will not extend Abdoulaye Doucoure’s contract, with the midfielder now set to leave at the end of the season.

This marks the first big contract decision to really come out of Merseyside ahead of the summer.

MORE EVERTON STORIES

Doucoure has played a huge role in Everton’s recent history and has been a mainstay in Everton’s side this season.

Everton career Total

Appearances 156

Minutes 12,071

Goals 20

Assists 13

A recent suspension saw Doucoure lose his spot in the starting XI against Crystal Palace, which provided fans with their first look at Carlos Alcaraz.

The Mali midfielder still has years ahead of him, with Gueye proving that to be the case.

However, the Toffees are looking set for a ruthless reboot over the summer as they now look set to move on from a player who has offered a lot over recent years.

Carlos Alcaraz could be set for big role at Everton

Despite signing just weeks ago, Carlos Alcaraz has said he wants to stay at Everton with his loan set to expire at the end of the season.

Everton will have the opportunity to make his stay on Merseyside permanent.

And the news surrounding Doucoure’s future may now suggest the Toffees are looking at Alcaraz as the heir to the Mali midfielder.

If that is the case, Alcaraz could well be set for more regular game time over the coming weeks if he is seen as the future at Everton.

Moyes loves what he’s seen from Alcaraz and this could well be an indication that things are about to ramp up for the Argentine.

With that in mind, Saturday’s trip to Molineux may provide an interesting indication as to where Alcaraz stands at Everton.

Read full news in source page