londonworld.com

Ex West Ham and QPR midfielder 'held talks' over Arsenal sporting director role

Watch more of our videos on ShotsTV.com

and on Freeview 262 or Freely 565

Visit Shots! now

Arsenal are still looking for a new sporting director but could be getting close to finalising their man.

Former West Ham, QPR and Chelsea midfielder Yossi Benayoun has ‘held talks’ with Arsenal over becoming the club’s new sporting director following the exit of Edu late last year.

The former Premier League midfielder did also spend one season at the Emirates Stadium during the 2011/12 campaign. Football Insider reports that Benayoun had conversations with the Gunners board over replacing Edu but no job offer was made.

The revelation comes in a week where it appears that Arsenal have made a breakthrough in their search for a new sporting director. The club are in ‘advanced talks’ with former Atletico Madrid chief Andrea Berta.

Ex QPR and West Ham midfielder ‘held talks’ with Arsenal over sporting director role

Benayoun is currently out of work having left his role as sporting director of the Israel national team in March 2024 after two years in the position. The 44-year-old wants to return to the Premier League as his next step.

He told Football Insider: “Of course I would be interested in a sporting director role in England, but I am also a pro licensed coach. Let’s see what comes up.”

Benayoun hung up his playing boots in 2019, finishing his career at Beitar Jerusalem, then taking up the role as the side’s sporting director. The post with Israel followed but Benayoun left after the nation failed to qualify for Euro 2024.

The player first arrived in the UK when signed by West Ham in 2005 for £2.5 million after the club was promoted to the top flight. At the time, West Ham manager Alan Pardew said: "We're delighted to have secured the signature of Yossi and I'm sure he'll prove to be a great asset to our squad. He's a creative midfield player, who brings an educated discipline to the attack. But he's also a diligent player, who hardly misses a game and has improved year on year in La Liga.

"He's a player with flair, who'll be able to open the door for us when teams sit deep. We needed a player like that and at 24 he is a great signing for the club."

Benayoun spent two years at West Ham before then moving to Liverpool in 2007 and Chelsea in 2010. He returned to the Hammers on loan in 2012 but an injury ended that spell after just six games.

It was a move to west London next for the midfielder, who joined QPR on loan in December 2013 on a short-term deal. He made 17 appearances for the R’s in a season that resulted in promotion to the Premier League, scoring three goals and picking up one assist.

Arsenal in ‘advanced talks’ with former Atletico Madrid chief

Benayoun looks to have missed out on the Arsenal job to Berta, with former Newcastle United and Manchester United man Dan Ashworth also set to lose the race for the position.

Ashworth moved from the Magpies to the Red Devils last year but spent just five months at Old Trafford before leaving by mutual agreement in December amid a restructure. That decision cost Manchester United over £4 million and it had been touted that Arsenal would look to pounce on Ashworth. The businessman has helped sign the likes of Anthony Gordon, Leandro Trossard, Karou Mitoma and Moises Caicedo for previous clubs, which include Brighton as well as Manchester United and Newcastle United.

Ashworth was immediately linked with the Arsenal job in December. ESPN claimed that the director’s history with Arsenal managing director Richard Garlick had led sources to believe a reunion at the Emirates was likely.

However, in a new update, it appears as if the Gunners are working towards a deal with a different name. Taking to social media platform X on Monday, transfer guru Fabrizio Romano wrote: “Understand Andrea Berta is now the top candidate to become new Arsenal director in order to replace Edu.

“Discussions already took place, Berta left Atlético after building the team with key signings in the recent years. Talks at advanced stage, not done/sealed yet.”

Berta would be filling the shoes of Edu, who left Arsenal to take on a new position working alongside Nottingham Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis on his network of clubs. When leaving Arsenal, Edu said: “This was an incredibly hard decision to make.

"Arsenal has given me the opportunity to work with so many amazing people and the chance to be a part of something so special in the club’s history. It has been a special journey and I thank Stan, Josh, Tim and Lord Harris for the support they’ve given me.

“I’ve loved working with so many great colleagues across our men’s, women’s and academy teams, especially Mikel, who has become a great friend. Now it is time to pursue a different challenge. Arsenal will always remain in my heart. I wish the club and its supporters only good things and all the very best.”

In other news, Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur and Chelsea have found out about a £66 million release clause in a target’s contract.

Read full news in source page