9news.com.au

US and Ukrainian officials plan peace talks next week

A crucial meeting between US and Ukraine officials over a peace agreement with Russia has been set for next week, a top Trump administration official says.

US President Donald Trump's special envoy, Steve Witkoff, said on Friday (AEDT) the meeting is planned to be held in Saudi Arabia.

The meeting signals a warming in US and Ukraine relations since the Oval Office blow-up between Trump and President Volodymyr Zelenskyy last week.

US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff, centre, accompanied by White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt, speaks with reporters at the White House in Washington, on Thursday, March 6, 2025. (AP Photo/Ben Curtis) (AP)

Following the row, the US cut off military aid for Ukraine and shut down intelligence sharing with the Ukrainian armed forces.

Witkoff confirmed the Ukrainian president had written to Trump following their fiery White House meeting.

"Zelenskyy sent a letter to the president. I think the president thought that it was a really good, positive first step and from that we have now, we're now in discussions to coordinate a meeting with the Ukrainians." he said.

In his nightly address, Zelenskyy said he would travel to Saudi Arabia on Monday and his team would stay on to hold talks with US officials.

"I am scheduled to visit Saudi Arabia to meet with the Crown Prince. After that, my team will stay in Saudi Arabia to work with American partners. Ukraine is most interested in peace," Zelenskyy said.

The announcement came as Zelenskyy met European Union leaders for an emergency summit in Brussels on the Russia Ukraine war and security in Europe.

The leaders backed new defence spending plans aimed at freeing up billions of euros for the continent's security after the Trump administration signalled that Europe would have to fend for itself in future.

From left, European Council President Antonio Costa, Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen, at the EU Summit in Brussels, on Thursday, March 6, 2025. (AP Photo/Omar Havana) (AP)

The 27 leaders signed off on a move to loosen budget restrictions so that willing EU countries can increase their military spending .

They also urged the European Commission to explore new ways "to facilitate significant defense spending at national level in all Member States," a statement said.

The EU's executive branch estimates that around 650 billion euros ($AUS1.1 billion) could be freed up in this way.

Several East European leaders at the summit also welcomed French President Emmanueal Macron's plan of sharing his country's nuclear force to deter attacks.

But it was dismissed by the Russian government as "extremely confrontational."

- With AP

Read full news in source page