startribune.com

Minnesota House to vote on rolling back ‘duty to retreat’ before use of force

The Minnesota House of Representatives was expected to vote Thursday on legislation that would allow individuals to use force against an attacker without first trying to retreat.

[The legislation](https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/text.php?number=HF0013&version=latest&session=ls94&session_number=0&session_year=2025), commonly known as a “stand your ground” law, would repeal the state’s longstanding policy that someone under attack must try to retreat, if possible, before using force against an aggressor.

Stand your ground laws are widely criticized by gun violence prevention advocates who cite research that shows states with stand your ground policies have higher rates of homicide.

Susie Kaufman, chapter leader for Minnesota Moms Demand Action, said in a news conference ahead of the expected vote that the legislation promotes “dangerous vigilantism.”

“They allow people to shoot first and ask questions later,” Kaufman said at the news conference alongside DFL lawmakers. “Our state does not need any more division, and bills like HF 13 only stoke fear and division.”

Rep. Matt Bliss, R-Pennington, who is sponsoring the legislation, disputed the idea the legislation is a “shoot first” bill in a press conference Wednesday.

“This bill simply says that a reasonable amount of force may be taken,” Bliss said.

Bliss said he offered the legislation in response to the [Minnesota Supreme Court’s ruling](https://www.startribune.com/minnesota-high-court-sets-self-defense-precedent-in-machete-case-retreat-before-brandishing-weapon/600508775) last year that a person facing an attack must first attempt to retreat before brandishing a deadly weapon.

Read full news in source page