Chelsea have been urged to capitalise on Alisson Becker’s latest stunning display by targeting the Brazilian goalkeeper’s understudy at Liverpool. The 32-year-old produced one of the all-time great Champions League displays at Paris Saint-Germain on Wednesday, saving nine shots as his side sealed a remarkable 1-0 win in the first leg of their last-16 tie.
Alisson’s display was a reminder of his importance to The Reds after spending two months on the sidelines earlier this season with a hamstring injury. During that period, Caoiminhin Kelleher deputised in goal and showed his worth to Arne Slot by saving a Kylian Mbappe penalty in victory over Real Madrid. His form even led some fans to call for the Irish international to retain his place even when Alisson returned to fitness.
However, Slot immediately reinstalled the ex-Roma man to his XI, with Kelleher since confined to cup appearances. A deal has already been struck to sign Valencia keeper Giorgi Mamardashvili in the summer, leaving the 26-year-old’s future in serious doubt.
Compatriot Richard Dunne has now argued the 26-year-old needs to leave Anfield to progress his career. Furthermore, he thinks Stamford Bridge would be the ideal destination amid the goalkeeping problems that have plagued the season for Enzo Maresca’s side.
“If it does work out as people seem to think that he's now going to be third-choice goalkeeper next season, there's no doubt that he will then move on,” he told William Hill. “He's good enough now to be a no.1, he's proven that this season.
“Chelsea need a goalkeeper. Although they've probably got four or five on their books, they don't have one that is consistent. Kelleher is proven and Chelsea would be good for him.”
The ex-Manchester City and Aston Villa defender also argued that Newcastle could be a good fit for Kelleher, who he says “would be a good signing for a lot of Premier League sides.” However, while he acknowledges the Cork-born star won’t be short of offers, he also urged him to be selective with any potential move.
“It’s important that he finds the right club,” continued Dunne. “He's got a real opportunity to have more success in the rest of his career, if it's not at Liverpool, and he needs to make sure the club is suitable and matches his own ambitions.
“He's no longer seen as just a young second-choice goalkeeper; he's one of the best keepers in the league. Hopefully, he finds the best solution. There will be opportunities for him - it’s just about choosing the right one.”
Kelleher has already signalled his intentions to leave the Merseyside club if he cannot establish himself as the long-term No.1 at Liverpool. In September, he publicly said he was considering leaving after the club had turned down a number of summer bids for his signature.