rousingthekop.com

'I do think': David Ornstein makes Alexander Isak prediction after confirming Liverpool interest in £150m deal

Liverpool supporters were given a glimpse into the good side of Darwin Nunez during their late win over PSG on Wednesday.

After winning a header against Marquinhos, Nunez then proceeded to show calmness and cool to pick out Harvey Elliott who scored a shock decider.

Ally McCoist praised Nunez on commentary and it was a piece of play which signalled that he can still offer plenty to this Liverpool team.

However, Nunez is likely to be sold this summer. Positives such as this one at the Parc des Princes have been too few and far between. Liverpool are set to target a new centre-forward in his place.

With that in mind, Newcastle’s in-form striker Alexander Isak has become the favourite of many supporters to arrive at Anfield in Nunez’s place.

And according to journalist David Ornstein, Isak is very much one to watch for Liverpool this summer.

Photo by George Wood/Getty Images

Photo by George Wood/Getty Images

Liverpool’s interest in Alexander Isak confirmed

As Liverpool prepare to face them in the Carabao Cup final in just over a week’s time, Newcastle are sweating over the fitness of Isak.

In our opinion, Isak’s injury history make him a gamble for Liverpool to go after, especially given his likely price-tag.

MORE LIVERPOOL STORIES

But, asked by readers of The Athletic if he can provide insight into the Reds hunt for attackers this summer, Ornstein says the only name he’s currently hearing is that of the Swedish hitman.

“They will obviously have multiple options on their radar, but the only name I’ve personally heard of so far — which others have already reported — is Alexander Isak,” he says.

READ MORE: New details emerge of how close Liverpool came to signing Khvicha Kvaratskhelia before he joined PSG

“Liverpool aren’t alone in liking the Swede. We know Mikel Arteta wants to sign him, Chelsea and Barcelona have also been linked, and I’m sure many other sides would be keen, too, if the opportunity arose.”

“But that’s a big ‘if’,” adds the reporter. “Newcastle have no intention of selling their best player and, understandably, don’t welcome this kind of conversation.

“Isak has more than three years left on his existing contract, he is very well paid, and there’s no financial requirement for the St James’ Park hierarchy to cash in.”

Ornstein predicts Isak ‘talking point’

After confirming that Liverpool are indeed keen on signing Isak, Ornstein went on to predict that despite Newcastle’s position, the future of the 25-year-old will be a ‘talking point’ ahead of the summer window.

The journalist also provided how much Liverpool could expect to pay in terms of a transfer fee, with a whopping £150m deal seemingly on the cards.

“Now, every player has their price and while I’m not aware of Newcastle specifically setting one for Isak, the number that seems to circulate around the industry is something like £150million,” Ornstein says.

“Perhaps if teams are prepared to make such eye-watering offers there’s a conversation to be had, but Newcastle hold the aces here and their plan will be to build with, rather than without, him.

“Liverpool are only going to consider making a move if Isak is genuinely available; they’re not the type of club to engage in a wild goose chase. But I do think (sorry to say this, Newcastle fans) his future will be one of the big talking points heading into and during the summer transfer window.”

Read full news in source page