Newcastle United winger Anthony Gordon will play no part in next week's Carabao Cup final against Liverpool, Eddie Howe has confirmed
Comments
Sport
NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, ENGLAND - MARCH 02: Anthony Gordon of Newcastle United leaves the pitch after being shown a red card during the Emirates FA Cup Fifth Round match between Newcastle United and Brighton & Hove Albion at St James' Park on March 02, 2025 in Newcastle upon Tyne, England. (Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images)
Anthony Gordon leaves the pitch after being shown a red card during the FA Cup fifth-round match between Newcastle United and Brighton & Hove Albion at St James' Park
(Image: Stu Forster/Getty Images)
Newcastle United forward Anthony Gordon will play no part in the Carabao Cup final against Liverpool. Magpies boss Eddie Howe has confirmed the club won't appeal against the red card Gordon received against Brighton & Hove Albion last week.
The former Everton winger was dismissed in the fifth-round FA Cup tie at St James Park on Sunday for charging into the back of defender Jan Paul van Hecke before Newcastle were eventually beaten 2-1 after extra time.
The Magpies had weighed up appealing against the decision but Howe has now explained why there will be no contesting the dismissal from the club, meaning Gordon won't be involved in the Wembley showpiece against Liverpool on Sunday, March 16.
READ MORE: PSG dressing room say same thing after being stunned by Liverpool - they could live to regret itREAD MORE: Jurgen Klopp reveals Liverpool return date - 'I will be there'
"We discussed it as a club, with the respected people that we need to discuss it with, lawyers. We just felt that there probably wasn't sufficient grounds to do that," Howe said.
"There was no intention from Anthony. Without going into too much detail on the actual event itself, I think the player [Van Hecke] sort of bends down, and it makes the push look worse.
"There's no intention from him to hurt anybody. But you have to look at it and go 'does this have a chance of being successful?' - if there's no chance of being successful, what's the point of appealing? So Anthony understands."
On the fitness of Alexander Isak, Kieran Trippier and Tino Livramento ahead of Newcastle's trip to West Ham United on Monday, Howe said: "We've still got two more training sessions before Monday night's game - at the moment that would be enough. Fingers crossed we can keep everyone else fit."
The Magpies will be without Lewis Hall and Sven Botman for the game, who are both ruled out with injury.