miamiherald.com

Hamas Warns of “Killings of More Hostages” if War Resumes

Israeli Hostages Handed Over by Hamas. Israeli hostages, from left to right, Eliya Cohen, Omer Shem and Omer Wenkert, are told to show Hamas issued certificates by Hamas fighters before being handed over to the Red Cross in Nuseirat, central Gaza Strip Saturday, Feb. 22, 2025 Mohammad Abu Samra/AP Photo

Hamas has warned that any Israeli attack would jeopardize the lives of the remaining hostages in Gaza after President Donald Trump threatened action if they are not released.

Newsweek has reached out to the White House and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office for comment.

Why It Matters

The Hamas warning raises new concerns over prospects for the continuation of a ceasefire which had allowed for the release of some Israeli hostages in exchange for Palestinian prisoners.

President Donald Trump issued a final ultimatum to Hamas on Wednesday to release hostages. The White House also confirmed ongoing talks between the U.S. and Hamas.

What To Know

In a video broadcast through the Telegram channel of the Al-Qassam Brigades, Hamas' armed wing, spokesman Abu Obaida said: "The enemy's leadership is still attempting to evade the agreement in search of an American cover to continue its aggression against our people."

"Any escalation by the enemy will result in the killings of more hostages," he said.

Abu Obaida did not say that Hamas was threatening to kill the hostages itself. Hamas has previously blamed Israeli bombing and shelling for the deaths of hostages.

Netanyahu has said that Israel will not accept a ceasefire unless Hamas releases all hostages.

Abu Obaida said that threats of war will not bring about the release of those held by Hamas.

The Trump Administration is holding direct talks with Hamas regarding the release of U.S. and Israeli hostages.

Hamas killed some 1,200 Israelis in the October 7, 2023, attack that started the war and took around 250 hostages, according to Israeli tallies. At least 48,000 Palestinians have been killed in Israel's Gaza offensive, according to officials in the Hamas-run territory cited by the Associated Press.

A U.S.-brokered ceasefire was halted in March with no immediate resolution in sight. Israel blocked humanitarian aid from reaching Gaza's nearly 2 million population on Sunday, sparking criticism from U.N. experts and several Arab nations.

What People Are Saying

Al-Qassam Brigades spokesman Abu Obaida: "I warn the families of the hostages and everyone who cares that any escalation by the enemy will result in the killings of more hostages, as happened before on many occasions."

U.S. President Donald Trump: "We are having discussions with Hamas. We are helping Israel in those discussions because we're talking about Israeli hostages and we're not doing anything in terms of Hamas. We're not giving cash."

U.S. Middle East Envoy Steve Witkoff: "The president was pretty blunt. It's time for Hamas to start acting in a responsible and reasonable way, and we don't think that they had been doing that. Eden Alexander is very important to us, as are all the hostages, but Eden is an American and he's injured, so he's top priority for us."

U.N. human rights experts' statement: "The so-called three phase ceasefire deal should have led to a permanent cessation of hostilities and the release of all Palestinians and Israelis unlawfully detained as a most basic requisite for sustainable peace. Instead, they resulted in further violence and even further destruction of Palestinian life. This is both unlawful and utterly inhumane."

What Happens Next

Although the rhetoric has been stepped up by all sides, there is still the possibility of more hostage releases, but if more do not happen soon it increases the chances of a return to all-out war.

Related Articles

Putin Rules Out Concessions As Trump Seeks Quick Ukraine Truce

Trump Was Seen as the 'Crypto King'-MAGA's Bitcoin Dream is Breaking Apart

Russia, Iran, China and N. Korea Bond is "Global Problem", Says Trump Envoy

Nuclear Warning for Donald Trump

2025 NEWSWEEK DIGITAL LLC.

This story was originally published March 7, 2025 at 5:57 AM.

Read full news in source page