espn.com

Shakir, Cook and Hollins: What awaits the Bills in free agency?

Alaina GetzenbergMar 7, 2025, 06:00 AM ET

Close

Open Extended Reactions

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- In recent years, the Buffalo Bills have moved up (2022 and 2023) and moved back (2024) in the first round of the NFL Draft. The Bills have had to navigate the backend of the draft since 2020, without a pick top 20 in that time. The team even traded away its 2020 first-round pick as part of the deal for wide receiver Stefon Diggs. The Buffalo Bills are slated to pick 30th in this year's draft.

At the combine last week, general manager Brandon Beane made it clear that trading that No. 30 pick is indeed on the table.

"Yes, I would not flinch," Beane said. "Anything that can help our roster, that can fit and not cripple us in another way. Yes, we would definitely do it."

Trading that first-round pick would open up options as the draft gets closer and as the team builds out the 2025 roster. The Bills need to clear under $8 million in cap space to be compliant before the start of the league year next Wednesday. Unlike last year, getting there will not require as many significant cuts, but can be done in a variety of ways -- including either releasing or negotiating a pay cut with pass rusher Von Miller.

With a busy week ahead, here's a look at some of the latest news and trends with the Bills.

Positions to watch in free agency

The draft will be key for the Bills with three picks in the first two rounds, but there's work to be done before they get there. A number of positions could use veteran help, including wide receiver, cornerback, safety and along the defensive line, most specifically at pass rusher.

The Bills don't have significant money to spend at their disposal. While that will eliminate a diversity of splash moves, it won't preclude them from investing and adding value.

A significant pass rusher acquisition is certainly one to watch with Beane emphasizing the team's belief in always building up front.

Shakir: First deal done

Khalil Shakir officially signed his four-year extension worth up to $60.2 million, including $32 million guaranteed at signing, on Monday. The move was the first step this offseason in securing the wide receiver room of the future with the fifth-round pick out of Boise State, and the first Bills player given an extension from the 2022 draft class.

What to know for NFL free agency

• Tracking every move | Grades (ESPN+)

• Our cheat sheet | Top 100 FAs (ESPN+)

• 14 steals (ESPN+) | 5 reaches (ESPN+)

• Barnwell tiers (ESPN+): Off. | Def.

• Free agent list | Franchise tags | More

Including the playoffs, quarterback Josh Allen has completed 81% of his passes to Shakir over the past two seasons -- the highest completion percentage among 60 QB-WR combos with at least 100 targets over that span.

"[Allen] called me not too long after it was put out there. Obviously, he was just super excited and I'm super thankful for him," Shakir said of Allen. "Made sure I just let him know that I wouldn't be where I'm at without him and him putting his trust in me. ... For him to be able to trust me and to be out there and play with him, I truly believe he's the best athlete I've ever been around, so I'm grateful to continue to play with him."

The questions now turn to who is next? That extends to the rest of the receiver room with free agents Mack Hollins and Amari Cooper. The talk of the combine was that Hollins is an intriguing option for teams beyond the Bills. He had a career season with the Bills, catching 31 passes for 378 yards and five touchdowns, in addition to playing a key special teams role.

Cooper is part of a stacked veteran wide receiver free agent market that is only growing as the league year gets closer. The question for his market will be if teams still view him as a No. 1 receiver and how the crowded market impacts his value.

What is clear is that the two sides are not in the same place on a possible extension at the moment. Cook, via social media, has made it abundantly clear that he would like to get paid.

He's gone live on Instagram, pinning "15 mill [per] year"; quote-tweeted running back Saquon Barkley's extension that made him the highest paid at the position in NFL history with eyeball emojis.

"James is a good, young man. He really is. Nothing he's done is malicious or anything like that," Beane said. "Everyone wants what they believe to be their fair market value, and I respect that. Again, if I could give him advice, I'd say let's just keep that in house. But it doesn't change my viewpoint of him. ... Whenever I next see him, I'm going to give him a hug, love him up and tell him let's roll."

Best of NFL Nation

• Trade? Keep? Buzz around the No. 1 pick

• Will Mekhi Becton return to Philly?

• Texans targeting WRs, protecting Stroud

• Cowboys' Martin retires after legendary career

• What to expect from Chargers in free agency

The Bills hope to get on the same page with Cook, who is entering the final year of his rookie deal. He clearly has a number in mind and the team must decide how much to invest in the position and the player. There's no doubt Cook impacted the offense in a significant way -- including as a receiver -- with his record-tying 16 rushing touchdowns. However, Cook rarely appeared on third downs -- 13.1% of third down plays -- and needed the final regular season game to go over 1,000 yards compared to someone like Barkley who reached 2,000.

"James can play on third down. I don't think there's a reason he can't. If I was going to say anything he can improve on, probably pass pro -- he can continue to improve that," Beane said.

"I think James from when we drafted him to where he is today, he has drastically improved that and done a good job. But we're always working to get better. He's definitely a weapon in the pass game. He can be a three-down player whenever he wants. You're also trying to keep him fresh and you're trying to build depth there and trying to utilize the other guys as well."

Beane also said that even if they're not in the same place now on the contract, it doesn't mean they won't be in the future. With the entire starting offensive line coming back and another year under offensive coordinator Joe Brady set for 2025, Cook could expect another big season.

Lingering notes

Safety Cole Bishop and wide receiver Keon Coleman are on to year two. Beane and coach Sean McDermott spoke about both at the combine and referenced learning from their rookie years to improve in 2025. McDermott has noted in the past the difficulty of the jump from the rookie to second season and the importance of the work put in during the offseason away from the team.

The Bills are hoping for a full Matt Milano return. After the linebacker suffered significant injuries each of the last two seasons, it took time for him to look more like himself in 2024. Beane expressed optimism in Milano, 30, having a full offseason to get back into the flow of things.

"We expect Matt back at this point," Beane said. "I'm excited that he's healthy and not having to have a surgery or a rehab situation."

Read full news in source page