Ajax have confirmed they have reached a settlement with Antony, for fines in the lead up to his transfer to Manchester United.
The Brazilian, who has since joined Real Betis on loan, was at the centre of a prolonged saga over his future in the summer of 2022. Then United boss Erik ten Hag, pushed hard for the signing of the forward, ultimately landing him at an inflated cost of more than £80million.
In the days leading up to his United medical, Antony sat out of several training sessions with the Dutch giants in order to force through a move. In turn, Ajax fined Antony on three occasions for being absent without permission.
Following the completion of his move to Old Trafford, it is reported that the player discovered the fines had been taken out of his pay packet. The value of the fines were said to total “a few hundred thousand euros” with Dutch outlet AD reporting that Antony was citing "unlawful" behaviour as he sought to retrieve the funds.
[
Casemiro makes Joshua Zirkzee feelings clear after Man Utd struggles - 'He's not a No.9'](https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/casemiro-joshua-zirkzee-man-utd-34815148)
On Friday, Ajax revealed that an undisclosed settlement between club and player had been reached. The statement also confirmed that the incident had not soured relations between Antony and the team he spent two seasons with.
Ajax’s official press release reads: “Ajax and Antony have reached a settlement in an arbitration case that the former Ajacied had filed against the club. In this procedure, the arbitration committee of the KNVB recently issued an interim ruling, after which Ajax and Antony re-engaged in discussions.
“This has led to both parties finding a solution that satisfies both the club and the former player. No further details about the settlement will be disclosed.”
It continues: “Given the positive history between Ajax and the Brazilian attacker, all parties involved are pleased that the arbitration process has come to an end and that they can put this matter behind them. Antony left Amsterdam for Manchester United in the summer of 2022.”
Antony has impressed since joining Real Betis from United on loan
Antony’s time at Manchester United got off to the perfect start after scoring on his debut against Arsenal, but he failed to ever live up to his huge transfer fee. In total, he has 12 goals in 96 appearances for the Red Devils, with his long-term future up in the air.
In January, Antony signed for Betis and has got off to a positive start, scoring three times in eight matches. And the La Liga side’s CEO Ramon Alarcon has confirmed that the player hopes to stay at Betis beyond the end of this season.
Alarcon told Canal Sur: "The other day Antony told me that he wanted to stay another year. The player is very comfortable here and was surprised by the facilities we gave him to settle in the city as soon as he arrived."
The 25-year-old still has more than two years remaining on his Manchester United contract should new boss Ruben Amorim decide he has a future with the club.
Join our new MAN UTD WhatsApp communityand receive your daily dose of Manchester United content from Mirror Football. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don't like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you're curious, you can read ourPrivacy Notice.