thenorthernecho.co.uk

Ex-Middlesbrough man victim of online threats and abuse after 'devastating' incident

Roberts has now had his suspension extended and will serve a six-match ban for his [challenge which hospitalised the Crystal Palace forward.](https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/24984885.fa-want-extend-liam-roberts-ban-jean-philippe-mateta-challenge/)

Roberts’ high boot caused lacerations to Mateta’s ear after the pair came together to challenge for the ball during last Saturday’s FA Cup fifth-round tie at Selhurst Park.

The Football Association submitted a claim to have the ban extended from the standard three matches, claiming three games was “clearly insufficient” for the offence, and the governing body confirmed on Friday that an independent regulatory panel had issued a six-match suspension to Roberts.

**RECOMMENDED READING:**

The Lions goalkeeper immediately said he accepted the sanction in a statement on his club’s website.

“I am devastated by what happened. I unequivocally accept the red card as awarded and accept my punishment,” he said.

“Furthermore, it has been extremely unpleasant to observe suggestions that I intended to harm a fellow professional. I have categorically never stepped onto a football pitch with the intention of hurting anyone.

“Misleading articles and comments have resulted in an unthinkable amount of abusive messages and threats towards my family and I.

“To the footballing community who know me and reached out with support through this tough time, thank you, I appreciate every single message.”

Millwall said they were disappointed with the outcome but respected the process that had been undertaken.

The FA said the regulatory panel’s written reasons for increasing the ban to six matches would be published in due course.

Mateta required 25 stitches on his left ear before being discharged on Saturday evening. Referee Michael Oliver initially issued only a yellow card to Roberts, but dismissed him after the VAR recommended a review.

Palace head coach Oliver Glasner said on Friday that Mateta was recovering well but confirmed he would miss Saturday’s Premier League match against Ipswich.

“He had no fractures or concussion. Healing from the huge wound is going as we expected.

“He will go to Marbella with us next week and be just training individually. If everything goes how we wish, he will be available versus Fulham (after the March international break).”

Read full news in source page