express.co.uk

Antony 'reaches agreement' over fines as Man Utd move takes another twist

Ajax have confirmed they have reached a settlement with Antony over fines incurred during his transfer to Manchester United. The Brazilian, who has since joined Real Betis on loan, was at the heart of a long-winded saga over his future in the summer of 2022.

Then-United boss Erik ten Hag pushed hard for the signing of the forward, ultimately landing him at an inflated cost of more than £80million. In the days leading up to his United medical, Antony sat out of several training sessions with the Dutch giants in order to force through a move.

As a result, Ajax fined Antony on three occasions for being absent without permission. After his move to Old Trafford, it is reported that the player discovered the fines had been deducted from his pay packet.

The value of the fines were said to total "a few hundred thousand euros" with Dutch outlet AD reporting that Antony was citing "unlawful" behaviour as he sought to retrieve the funds. On Friday, Ajax revealed that an undisclosed settlement between club and player had been reached.

The statement also confirmed that the incident had not soured relations between Antony and the team he spent two seasons with.

Ajax's official press release read: "Ajax and Antony have reached a settlement in an arbitration case that the former Ajacied had filed against the club. In this procedure, the arbitration committee of the KNVB recently issued an interim ruling, after which Ajax and Antony re-engaged in discussions.

"This has led to both parties finding a solution that satisfies both the club and the former player. No further details about the settlement will be disclosed."

The statement continues: "Given the positive history between Ajax and the Brazilian attacker, all parties involved are pleased that the arbitration process has come to an end and that they can put this matter behind them. Antony left Amsterdam for Manchester United in the summer of 2022."

Antony's tenure at the Theatre of Dreams began with a bang as he scored on his debut against Arsenal, but he has since failed to live up to his hefty transfer fee. In total, he has netted 12 goals in 96 appearances for the Red Devils, leaving his long-term future uncertain.

In January, Antony signed for Betis and has made a promising start, scoring three times in eight matches. Betis CEO Ramon Alarcon has since confirmed the player's desire to stay beyond this season, telling Canal Sur: "The other day Antony told me that he wanted to stay another year. The player is very comfortable here and was surprised by the facilities we gave him to settle in the city as soon as he arrived."

The 25-year-old still has over two years left on his United contract, should new boss Ruben Amorim decide he has a future with the club.

This article originally appeared on Mirror

Read full news in source page