The Seahawks are trading quarterback Geno Smith to the Las Vegas Raiders for a third-round pick, a source confirmed to the Seattle Times.
The deal is expected to be finalized Monday, the day the NFL’s free agent negotiating period begins.
The trade came after a breakdown in contract talks between the two sides, according to reports. Smith is entering the final year of a three-year contract that was due to pay him $31 million this season when including three bonus escalators he hit a year ago.
That deal included a $16 million roster bonus due on March 17 which many viewed as something of a dealine for when a deal would get done.
The trade will reunite Smith in Las Vegas with former Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, who took over with the Raiders in January.
The news comes after an already eventful week with the Seahawks on Wednesday releasing veteran receiver Tyler Lockett and learning that DK Metcalf had requested a trade.
Both general manager John Schneider and head coach Mike Macdonald appeared to restate their faith in Smith as the team’s quarterback in interviews at the NFL scouting combine last week in Indianapolis.
“I mean, I’d love to announce it right now, that we’re rolling and Geno’s extended, and we can stop getting the question,’’ Macdonald said last week when asked if he had a deadline for when he wanted resolution to Smith’s situation. “But you’ve got to respect the process, too. And our guys are awesome. The way John handles his relationships with the agents … man, it’s a lot of stuff going on.’’
Schneider then said that he planned to have talks with Smith’s agents on Friday of last week. He characterized those as a beginning of formal negotiations.
“We expect him to be our guy but we want to do what’s right, too,’’ Schneider said at the combine.
This story will be updated.
Bob Condotta: bcondotta@seattletimes.com. Bob Condotta covers the Seahawks for the Seattle Times. He provides daily coverage of the team throughout the year.