football.london

Chelsea guaranteed to be without five stars amid Caicedo and Lavia dilemma

Chelsea head into this weekend knowing that they could finish the Premier League gameweek in third position if results go their way, with current third-placed Nottingham Forest hosting fourth-placed Manchester City in Saturday's early kick-off.

The Blues will be in action against relegation-threatened Leicester City, who have won just four games all season in the league. Enzo Maresca's side managed to pick up a win against FC Copenhagen in the UEFA Conference League on Thursday evening, and were able to rest a number of stars ahead of a crucial run of Premier League fixtures.

Pedro Neto was one of those left on the bench as Maresca continues to try and find a solution to his problems at No.9, and the Portuguese star is expected to be back among the starters on Sunday.

While there was an injury issue for Malo Gusto against the Danish side, the manager confirmed after the game that it was not a serious issue and he would be in contention to face Ruud van Nistelrooy's team on Sunday.

Meanwhile, there were question marks over whether Moises Caicedo would be risked against the Foxes given that he is one yellow card away from a two-match suspension in the league with games against Arsenal and Tottenham following Leicester - but Maresca answered that question emphatically.

"No, no, no. I know that they said this to me, but at this moment for us, it’s about winning games," Maresca told reporters. "We need to win games, so we cannot plan giving Moi a rest thinking that he can play Arsenal. We need to win against Leicester and then we need to focus on how we can beat Arsenal. It's just game by game and we need our best players on the pitch.

"The position of Moises, if you see his background, last year he had 11 to 12 yellow cards, the year before the same, because he's a midfielder. You are in the traffic. Sometimes you have to make some fouls. It's normal.

"Hopefully, he can avoid that until the end, knowing that probably it's difficult, but the good thing is that we have also Romeo [Lavia] now, he's started with us already. He can be back. We need to be ready. Reece can be a midfielder like tonight so we'll see."

As Maresca alluded to, Romeo Lavia is now back in contention to feature - though not start, meaning there are only five players he will definitely be without for the game at Stamford Bridge.

There has been no movement on Mykhailo Mudryk's situation, meaning the Ukrainian winger is still provisionally suspended after testing positive for a banned substance. The 24-year-old is awaiting the results of his 'B' test.

Nicolas Jackson and Marc Guiu are both out for the Blues, which has lead to the experimentation in the striker role, with Neto currently the candidate who has fared best.

Elsewhere, Noni Madueke is due back from a thigh injury after the international break, while youngster Omari Kellyman is also absent with a hamstring injury, though is expected back sooner rather than later.

Sign up for Chelsea news direct to your email inbox

Chelsea ended the 2023/24 Premier League season on a high, but it is never quiet at Stamford Bridge and the summer looks set to be one full of news, with question marks over Mauricio Pochettino's future at the club and plenty of talk around transfers.

And by signing up to our newsletter here, you'll make sure you receive the best Blues content including news, rumours, articles and fan opinions - direct into your inbox and all for free!

We also want to hear from you. Create an account here in just a few moments, so you can have your say on all things Chelsea, join the debate and take part in exclusive Q&As as well.

Read full news in source page